cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data creation in data manager vs. ERP transaction

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I have a general question on working with MDM: When I use MDM as central data management tool then I create and change the whole data within MDM Data Manager or maybe in MDM iViews in EP. Doing that way I will loose a lot of positive aspects I had doing this in ERP formerly even when using business content.

For example:

- no process logic exists (which I had in ERP dynpros in the code): no preconfigured assignments, validations, relationships, etc.

- I have to know all relevant tables where I have to do my entries

- no standard searches for typical problems

- all roles and authorizations have to be created on my own (except standard roles like Admin, Data Expert, etc.), there is no possibility to transfer authorizations from ERP to MDM (authorizations can be very complex)

- you need more (expert) know-how to maintain data (which is also a job of business departments)

- etc.

So a change to central master data management means a step backwards from a dynpro controlled input GUI to a database frontend with only rudimental features and loosing a lot of functionality that was build within a lot of years.

Is this right or did I miss something important? I think loosing all this functionality can be a cause for resistance against introduction of MDM central data management in companys.

Thanks for your answers. Helpful answers will be rewarded.

BR, bd

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi BD,

CMDM is one of the later stages in using MDM effectively.Before moving to a CMDM scenario it is necessary that ground base is set up.

- One goes for a CMDM scenario once all the one time data(exisiting data) is already cleansed.So firstly you need to extract all the possible high risk duplicates existing data from the ERP sytem into MDM ,run the matching merging strategies on them and then maintain the consistent data in MDM.Once this step is completed only then it makes sense to go for the creation of new data centrally through MDM.

- Just like in ECC when a user creates a new material for instance.He has to go through all the views and enter in all the required and optional fields value.In the same way this same scenario can be replicated in MDM by creting a repository with all the fields that one needs to enter while creating a new material. and by using MDM Validations we can simulate the same requirement of mandatory as in ECC.

- If you go for a Business content repository for Material,Vendor,Product etc you will have all the ready to use Roles with authorizations so its no a much of rework.

- Standard searches amy not be available in MDM but one can always desig his/her own search based on the customer requirement and MDM searches are very easy to use and also very dynamic.

I do agree that SAP MDM may not be a fully grown tool at this point of time but with the SAP MDM 7.1 vs most of these drawbacks will be addressed. and besides although ECC can do most of the Master data related work it is not a dedicated system for that purpose and will therefore have an influence on the performance and time involved aspects.

Hope It Helped,

Kindly Reward Points if found useful

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

So a change to central master data management means a step backwards from a dynpro controlled input GUI to a database frontend with only rudimental features and loosing a lot of functionality that was build within a lot of years.

1. The users can continue to create master data in their system and which will come to MDM for approval/create/enrich and then send to all the other systems involved in landscape.

2. The central creation in EP and GP can use the ERP functionality and workflow.

Hope this helps,

+ An