Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Packages

former_member1279004
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to retrieve data out of Oracle 9i. My client currently has packages which have SQL scripts.

What would be the best way to retrieve data using these packages, would we use:

- JDBC

- Webservice

or some other form to do the above.

Regards.

NAC

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MarcoErtel
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi NAC,

technically both are possible. From my point of view it makes more sense to use webservices to have a separation between the business logic and the UI logic. It is then also easier to use the MVC approach of Web Dynpro.

Kind Regards

Marco

former_member1279004
Participant
0 Kudos

Marco,

thank you for your prompt response, I need to add to this mix; later my client would migrate to an SAP backend and would like to use as much of the code developed for Oracle used for SAP.

Would Webservices be a good solution in this case to avail some of the code written.

Thank you.

NAC

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP Partner,

JDBC means database interoperability, i.e. you may access <b>data</b> stored in (almost) any DB from <b>Java</b> application.

Webservices give you more freedom: you may expose <b>functionality / service</b> to application written in (almost) <b>any language</b>.

What degree of flexibility you actually need? Do you plan to switch from Oracle to MaxDB? Or from Oracle stored procedures to SAP WebAS ABAP? Or something else?

VS

former_member1279004
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Valery,

We are looking to move from Oracle stored procedures to SAP WebAS ABAP, and are looking for a smooth transition of the portal iviews, reducing development time and trying to retain as much of code as we can.

The 2 options we have looked at are (any other options out there ???)

- webservices

- JDBC

Any thought on what we how we should proceed with devellopment keeping in mind the transition would be appreciated.

If anyone has done something like this and have faced issues, we would greatly appreciate any insight.

NAC

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP Partner,

-- JDBC is definitely not an option here

-- I'm not sure whether or not RA (Resource Adapter) option is possible.

-- WebService is certainly a way to go for this scenario.

VS

former_member1279004
Participant
0 Kudos

Valery,

Could you direct me to some note on Resource Adapter. I have not heard this term before.

NAC