Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requirement of ABAP in case of XI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have initial exposure in XI.

1)I want to know one thing. How importan is ABAP in case of XI.

2) In which area of XI we need ABAP coading . I have heared that proxy setting is done by ABAP. If we have to do it with ABAP then which area of ABAP we have to focus. We have to focus on Entire ABAP or very basic thing of ABAP which are generally used in case of XI. Actually I want to know if a person have very basic knowledge in ABAP then it will be suitable for him/her to use the ABAP coading?

Thnaks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

A person requires ABAP Knowledge in case of Proxies to initiate the Proxy in the report in case of sender and in the same way in case of receiver also we have to do some report kind of coding to insert the data into corresponding database tables.

And also one requires the ABAP Knowledge while doing ABAP Mapping

other than this one should have the knowledge on ALE concepts and IDOC's and RFC Functioning

Regards

Seshagiri

Answers (9)

Answers (9)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shalini Deshmukh ,

In XI there are scenarios like FILE TO IDoc, IDoc TO FILE, PROXY TO PROXY,...etc

These r some important scenarios where ABAP IS MANDATORY.

In FILE TO IDoc, IDoc TO FILE scenario, U should be familiar with ALE/IDoc settings like

RFC Destination creation(SM59),

Port Definition (WE21),

Partner Profile (WE20),

Viewing IDocs(WE02/WE05/WE09),

WE02 Display IDoc

WE05 IDoc Lists

WE06 Active IDoc monitoring

WE07 IDoc statistics

WE08 Status File Interface

WE09 Search for IDocs by Content

WE10 Search for IDoc in Archive

WE11 Delete IDocs

For PROXY TO PROXY scenario, we should be familiar with OO ABAP.

cheers!

gyanaraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Srini. Whatever you said is true.

Thanks Seshagiri ,Bharath. RamuV ,Phani , vemuganti naga phalguna, Sridhar Goli .

Thanks for you valuable suggestions. All of your suggestions/ answers are rewarded.

Edited by: Shalini Deshmukh on Jul 29, 2008 10:01 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to all of you. You have mentioned that In case of proxy we need to write ABAP code.

I have ABAP knowledge in case of reporting , BDC etc and worked for 6 months.Now completely detached with ABAP and I fam not efficient in ABAP coading

So I am confused. I have to learn and work on XI for my next project. But My ABAP skill is not so good. So I am worried about and want to know that is the same type of code require or there are lots of varities in case of all proxy? or can I do well in XI with my basic knowledge of ABAP.

Please suggest

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo

go ahead with no fear .. Proxies is a part of XI , which is used if v go for WAS 6.2 and Above system intergration.

And moreover Proxy coding is not much complicated jsut getting values and passing to u r FM.

Moreover as mentioned above ABAP mapping is not must , XI provides u Message maping (Graphical) , JAVA , XSLT ,ABAP.

u can choose on which u r comfortable.

if u r really alergic with proxies u can use RFC Adapter

but firend donot get feared putting obstacle to u r self

besh wishes

rgds

srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As the requirement not comes with Proxies or ABAP mapping and all , you can confortably work with XI as you worked on ABAP.

When the requirement comes with proxies then you can do the coding , because you have Exp. with ABAP Report kind of things.

In Proxies we have to write the report only to initiate the proxy from SAP R/3 to XI

Regards

Seshagiri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When using

1) Abap Proxies (Server / Client)

2) While using RFC / IDOC Adapter

3) If u go for ABAP Mapping.

rgds

srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

ABAP coding is required when you are going to developing the Proxies.

It is also important to know ABAP to do ALE settings while using the adapter like RFC and IDoc.

Regards

Sridhar Goli

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Shalini

For sending or receiving the data to n fro from the R/3 system or SAP system we sholud have knowledge of the ABAP.

ABAP Knowledge for XI is alo required in the following cases

For ALE's

For IDOC's

RFC's

It is also required for the ABAP Mapping.

cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If your sending data or receiving data from SAP system then u have to know ABAP and having the ABAp knowledge is important.

For inbound and outbound proxy scenario you have to do the abap coding.

for outbound scenario u have to do report in that u have to call the proxy which u have generated and u have to do the report with selection screen.

for othere scenario RFC to file /file to RFC if uu dont have standard RFc then u have to create the RFC.

For IDOC to file/file to IDOC scenario if u dont have standard IDOC then u have to create the custom IDOC.

Still more are there in ABAP for Xi requirement.

Regards,

Phani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Actually ABAP is not required for XI. ABAP required for ALE,IDOC creation and if you want to test the scenario you have trigger the idoc. Most of the Cases XI is used for SAP systems that means of IDOC/RFC adapters. So you should have knowledge in both adapter how we will configure in sap system and xi system. How IDOC and RFC work.

Only for writing proxies you require full length abap coding else no ware use abap coding.

Reg,

RamuV

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shalini,

In XI, abap coding comes into picture when we want to develop scerarios using RFC'S .As u know to develop abap proxies you need to have knowledge on REPORTS.

Basically cross application knowledge is enough to work on xi for developing scenarios to integrate SAP system.

Thanks & Regards,.

Bharath.