cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document Version and Status in DMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Can anyone tell me how the document version works...whether it updates automatically or we need to give the version number each time.

And also I would like to know the status of DMS..if it is in Rleased status ..it means no one can able to change the document ?

I find the the symbol always in unlock status..any configs is there to lock the status.I want the document whenever it is in released status...it shd be locked and no one can able to change it rather just viewing it...

Pls help

Vijay

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

Document Versioning in DMS can be controlled as per the following selection criteria,

Value Description

0 No version numbers

1 Numeric version numbers 00 .. 99

2 Numeric version numbers 01 .. 99

3 Alphanumeric numbers A0 .. Z9

4 Alphanumeric numbers A1 .. Z9

5 Alphanumeric numbers AA .. ZZ

6 AA .. AZ,A0 .. A9;BA .. Z9

7 as 6, but without 0

8 _A .. Z ; AA .. Z9

9 as 5, but 00 allowed

A as 6, but 00 allowed

• for USER-EXIT

in dc10, the number which u select automatically controls the version each time you create a document under same document number/doc type/doc part.

if you need to create a document under user-defined version or manually entered number then you can choose ur version which lies between the range selected.

There is no such unlock status displayed on Document info record (DIR).

beside document status you can see something called as "Not Released" indicator in red colour.

the document status changes from "Not Released" to "Released" once the status is set in which setting is done.

for configuration,

dc10>select doc type>click on define document status-->create new statuses if required/double click on the final status (say Released) and set the status "Release Flag".

under "Status type set to 'S' locked status".

save and create a document.

once the status is set to Released, automatically document will set to Released along with the release date and also it will get locked so dat it cannot be further edited by anyone.

Thank You,

Manoj

Pl. reward if useful.

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Dear Vijay,

generally you should find all these information in the SAP Online Documentation under http://help.sap.com at

SAP ERP Central Component

- Cross-Application Components

- Document Management

-- Document Info Record

--- Document Version

--- Status Management

Regarding document version I would like to inform you that first of all you have to define a 'version increment' in transaction DC10 for the corresponding document type. In CV01N need just enter the document number, type and part and press ENTER. Now the system should raise a pop-up asking you if you want to create a new version. So mainly the creation of new version could be done automatically in CV01N.

In case your 'Release Status' is maintained as status type 'locked' then only view things could be changed for the document info record. For all other changes a message is raised which informs you that this action could not be executed at the moment due to the assigned status. More information could be found in

transaction DC10 under 'Define Document status' within the blue help button.

Best regards,

Christoph

P.S.: Please reward points for useful information.