SAP for Retail Discussions
Join conversations about personalization, omnichannel strategies, and operational excellence in retail using SAP for Retail software.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling Enterprise Services from SAP POS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Can anyone guide how to call the ES bundle called Inventory Lookup(https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/ESpackages/Inventory+Lookup) from SAP POS-GM? Or for that matter how to call the any

We need to call the inventory information using this bundle from the POS UI. The documentation link for the bundle mentions that it is possible to call in from the POS system.

This would go a long way in helping mapping this requirement.

With regards,

Milan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Milan,

As of current state, the SAP POS (GM) product is not integrated with any ES bundle (or Web Service), so there is no currently documented methodology or described technique to implement such integration for this specific application. I believe that the documentation link, you pointed out to in your post, mentions integration with point-of-sales in a general sense, rather than assuming specifically the GM application. This, of course, does not mean that it cannot be integrated at all, but feasibility of the solution would depend on many factors, such as use case scenarios, required level of integration with POS system, availability of the appropriate extensibility mechanism etc

Regards,

Igor Tsenter

Application Architect

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Milan,

As of current state, the SAP POS (GM) product is not integrated with any ES bundle (or Web Service), so there is no currently documented methodology or described technique to implement such integration for this specific application. I believe that the documentation link, you pointed out to in your post, mentions integration with point-of-sales in a general sense, rather than assuming specifically the GM application. This, of course, does not mean that it cannot be integrated at all, but feasibility of the solution would depend on many factors, such as use case scenarios, required level of integration with POS system, availability of the appropriate extensibility mechanism etc

Regards,

Igor Tsenter

Application Architect

0 Kudos

Hi Igor

Thanks for your response.

Let me just simplify the query a little bit more by getting that specific ES bundle out of the picture.

Is there anyway I could create a custom transaction in SAP POS-GM that would take some parameters from the user , call a web service, and display the result of the web service on the screen?

So even if SAP POS is not integrated with a specific ES bundle, I could still get aorund and meet my requirement.

Milan.

0 Kudos

Hi Milan,

the scenario you described is currently not supported 'out of the box'. The GM application currently has no capability to invoke Web Service (or otherwise speaking to run custom code inside POS) and display the result in POS screen. This is possible, though, to launch external application by mapping it to the manager code (see Configurator), which could invoke the Web Service, in turn. I am not sure if this will help much in implementing your specific scenario, though, since this mechanism has limited capabilities to pass parameters to the application from the POS and process the response.

Thanks

Igor

0 Kudos

Thanks Igor for the info.

I was just trying to recollect and relate inputs from you with the content on the link I had posted in the thread. I was beginining to wonder how did the Inventory Lookup ES bundle's documentation display its output in the SAP POS GM UI. The documentation actually mentions this feature for SAP POS GM !

I guess the documentation wiki for this ES bundle needs to be corrected in that case.

0 Kudos

Hi Milan,

I am not sure what exactly output you refer to, but I assume that this is about 'order management' functionality integrated with GM. This integration is not relying on the Enterprise or (Web) Services invocation, but rather on displaying Web Browser window and further capturing and processing the result of the direct customer interaction with the browser window i.e. this is not employing (UI) independent inventory lookup. This is also integrated on the level of core code and employing specifically order management functionality i.e. the POS core code is directly aware of the order management functionality it employs.

Hope this helps

Igor

0 Kudos

Hi Igor,

OK. I'll put the section of the documentation of the ES bundle more clearly here.

Specifically, I want to implement the following in underlines as mentioned in the excerpt from the link that I posted earlier ..

"Generally, an enterprise service can be integrated and deployed within other relevant business processes such as in-store customer order management at the point-of-sale or at the service desk. A clerk at the point-of-sale can retrieve a comprehensive list of item-related data by executing an inventory lookup through the POS UI. Since the Inventory Lookup ES bundle can be easily integrated with Customer Order Management functionality, which is in turn integrated with the SAP Triversity POS GM, if the desired item is available in the store or elsewhere, the interested customer could order it immediately. Right on the spot, the customer can choose whether to take delivery of the item personally or to have it shipped directly to the location of his choice. (It's important to understand, however, that this ES bundle performs only the inventory lookup itself and not other subsequent actions in the business process.) "

If the underlined feature can be made to work, then that'll make the store users pretty satisfied by Triversity. I could get the real time(alomst) POS data by using trickling.

0 Kudos

Hello Milan,

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_epos31/helpdata/en/50/bab0f07a194340b8ebe85f417f9842/content.htm|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_epos31/helpdata/en/50/bab0f07a194340b8ebe85f417f9842/content.htm]

The above link will show you the implementation details for the integrated customer order management.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony

0 Kudos

Hi Milan / Igor

POS GM has a functionality of 'Launch Application' which helps you to launch a webpage from your network or any external website as well. You can provide a link so that the customer order management screen can be opened from the same machine.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Suhail Shaik

Retail/POS Consultant

SAP India