cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

warehouse

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SAP gurus,

Can anybody tell me why do we need to maintain warehouse. in what case do we need to do picking from a warehouse?in most of the process of creation of deliveries we need not create Transfer order ie picking not done through warehouse.Then in what scenarios do we need to maintain warehouse.My second question is in cases where we do not maintain warehouse where do we keep our stocks??r they picked from the plant?

In a standard business process I think we should maintain warehouse bcoz as far as i know plants r places where goods r manufactured whereas warehouse is place where w keep the stocks.Am i right??

plz rply

Thanks and regards,

Vicky

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In Inventory management 'Storage Location' is in use.

Goods are stored in this SLoc in SAP. Within the SLoc you cannot see where the goods exactly are, and within the Sloc there's no material movement (stock type / category may change but there's no movement since SLoc is one system and there are no subsytems).

If only SLoc is in use, picking can be done for deliveries. In customizing you can define for which delivery type you want to use picking (SPRO > LE > Shipping > Picking > Define Relevant Item Categories).

The use of WM is not a must, but if you implement it you can represent your physical warehouse in SAP better. In SAP WM you can have a detailed structure of your WH > Storage types, sections, bins, picking area, material staging area.

So, in WM you can see exactly where your materials are: e.g. storage type 001, bin 01-01-04. It is not possible with Sloc w/o WM.

Goods movements in WH are realized by TO (transfer orders). You have to do picking in WM (it is a must here) since you have to move the goods from storage bins to the truck (e.g., it is represented by storage type 916+dynamic bin)

You will find details on WH under Enterprise structure in IMG (here can assign plant-Sloc combinations to WH). WM settings are maintained in SPRO > LE > WM. In SAP easy access menu you can find WM transactions under Logistics > Logistics Execution.

BR

Csaba

Edited by: Csaba Szommer on Jul 27, 2008 3:24 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Csaba,

thnx for ur answer.now d concept is clear

hv rewrded pts

regds,

vicky