cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system/logic of material codification for sap

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

what is the good system/logic of material codification? i mean how can i give a usefull code to material like spares, raw material?

any link where can i find material coding system for sap?

thanks and regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Buddy,

As said in earlier post before the coding logic can used either internal or external

1> Internal is normally used for raw materils or material which r been used internally in organization

2> external is used for finished products which are to be saleable

Eg: For Electronic manufacturing firm of

Can have internal number range for IC's , PCB's , Speakers etc procured for production of the finished products.

Were as the Material code for this Finished product shouldbe used as External so that nomenculture can be alloted for every specific Catergory of product ie lets consider this firm produces TV , Music System etc

So for TV the external code can be :

1. TVCRT211000W

which states as:

TV : Television

CRT : Type of Display section ie Cathode ray tube

21 : 21 inch sizing

1000W : Sound output

1. TVLCD42450W

which states as:

TV : Television

CRT : Type of Display section LCD

42 : 42 inch sizing

450W : Sound output

and so on

Hope so this was usefull to u .

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There are already a number of material types available in SAP as standard. I have given a list in another post of yours.

SAP standard codification suggests it be a number. The field length is 18 and will take alphanumeric characters, so you can decide to use a combination of numbers and alphabets also.

The simplest to do is use an 8-10 length number; so you can create number ranges like:

000000001000000000 to 000000001999999999 and assign the Finished material group to this interval. You can assign multiple material types to the same group.

However the number will only identify that this is a finished goods, nothing more than that. You can work out a codification structure using an external number range, but this is more difficult to maintian and manage.

Cheers....