cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we have to shutdown SAP instance before doing SQL Database Restore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have to do a database restore of SQL Database on SAP.

We are running Win 2K OS and SQL 2000 Server Database.

can anyone tell whether do we have to shutdown SAP instance before doing SQL Database Restore.

Thanks,

Vinod.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are restoring a different database then the one running your SAP instance(s) then no, but if you are trying to restore the one you are actively using then the answer is yes.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In case other SAP instances are running.If you will try to restore database through MS SQL it will give you error & you won't be able to complete Re-storr.

Me too have MS SQL Database & for restore purpose we are stopping SAP Instances.

Please stop SAP instance & proceed with Re-Store.

Regards

Santosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes. You have to shutdown the SQL. Miral.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any restore / upgrade activities on databases should have the application using it shutdown for the activity to be clean and successful. I have not yet heard anyone do this online

Cheers,

Nisch

Former Member
0 Kudos

Those posts above that says that you don't have to shut down SAP, I'm assuming that you are counting on the WP reconnect to re-establish the DB connections after the DB is back up?

Be careful, for a 6TB database on very fast storage, it takes about 4 hours to restore. What are you going to do w/ a SAP instance that have no database anyways? Shut it down. Not only is it more responsible to your users, you can actually minimize chances data corruptions (enqueue, job tables, update tables.) by properly shut down SAP before performing any database operations.

So my answer is: Yes, shut down SAP and keep it down while you are woking on the database.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

stop the SAP system while restoring the databse or Attaching the database.

Regards,

Srini Nookala

Edited by: Srini Nookala on Aug 13, 2008 6:00 PM