cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning division in Material Master

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anyone advise why SAP does not check the allowed division against the sales area when creating material master?

At the sametime, what's the impact of changing division in material master when transactional data being created or inventory existed in plant?

I noticed there's a warning message 'It's not possible to switch division' when i try to change division.

What's the pre-requisite if i need to change division in material master due to mistake?

Thanks

Peter

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

This is one i found interesting, why SAP does not check division in valid sales area upfront during material master creation till we wait till sales order?

Divison lies within the material master screen and not part of the organization structure (sales org, DC) when we create material master. As such, we can't extend division. Let me know if i understood incorrectly.

Btw, SAP does allow division to be changed after creation.

Thanks

Peter

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Peter

1) why SAP does not check the allowed division against the sales area

While you create a sale order, system will check for division which should have been assigned in OVXA.

2) what's the impact of changing division in material master

I dont think you can change the Division in Material Master once it is created. But however, you can extend the same to another Division

3) What's the pre-requisite if i need to change division

As I said in 2, you have to extend the material to other Division.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anyone can offer past experiences or thoughts on this?

Thanks

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Peter,

While creating material master it doesnu2019t ask for any sales area combination rather it asks for the combination of Plant, Sales Organization, & Distribution channel.

In SAP the relation between Plant & Division is 1: Many

Between Sales Organization & Division is many: 1

Between Distribution Channel & Division is many: 1

As there is no 1:1 relationship in this so it will not restrict in putting any value in the Material master. But definitely it will give you error at the time of creating any sales document with the material for any other sales area to which the material division is not assigned.

So if the material is going to be used only for 1 division then you can put division there in the material master but if it is going to be used in multiple sales area with multiple divisions then advisible not to put anything in the material master.

Thanks

Bidhu