cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Landscape Design

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

I have the following H/W profile and needs to setup the SAP systems for the following components of SAP and NW.

OS & DB - RHEL 5.x / Oracle 10g

SAP Components to be setup - SM 7.0, ECC 6.0, BI & EP

H/W with me is:

Dev/QA Boxes

2 VmWare Servers 64 GB RAM (we can allocate the space as per our requirement)

1 VMWare Manager Win 2003 16 GB (used for VMware Management)

Prod Box

5 Blades Application Servers 16GB RAM

3 Blades DB Servers 32GB RAM

Can you please let me know with all your experiences, how can we design the best landscape with this available H/W.

I would appreciate your responses ASAP.

Thanks

Srikar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> OS & DB - RHEL 5.x / Oracle 10g

>

> 2 VmWare Servers 64 GB RAM (we can allocate the space as per our requirement)

> 1 VMWare Manager Win 2003 16 GB (used for VMware Management)

Be aware of the fact, that Oracle under VMWare is not supported. In case of problems they may not be able (and/or willing) to help you. See note 1173954 - Support of Oracle for VMWare and XEN

> Prod Box

>

> 5 Blades Application Servers 16GB RAM

> 3 Blades DB Servers 32GB RAM

>

> Can you please let me know with all your experiences, how can we design the best landscape with this available H/W.

The sizing is usually done by the hardware partner. Use the quicksizer (http://service.sap.com/quicksizer) and give the output to your hardware vendor. They will propose you with the "best configuration".

I'm not exactly sure what you ask about since your system landscape seems to be set already, no?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus

No, the H/W is ready for the proposed Landscape.

We are in the process of planning the Landscape. I just wanted to know how best can we start installing the SAP SM, ECC, BI, EP for DEV, QA & Prod environments in the above said H/W

Thanks

Srikar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus

Just gone through the Note, they say that only on Production Boxes it may cause issues, but we can use the Oracle on VMWare for D & Q systems as unplanned downtime is acceptable.

Since the Production Boxes would be on native OS, I dont think there should be any problem with this.

Your views on this is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Srikar

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You´re right - you can do that as long as you keep it in mind I know from various projects that the outage of a test- or QA-system is treated with the same priority as a production down - if you´re in the middle of an implementation. But neverless, if you have a good backup concept you can take that risk.

I personally would start with the ERP system and then use whatever sequence you like. Since all those systems connect to ERP people can start to work independently from each other when you set up e. g. BI next and they don´t need to wait for the ERP installation to be finished to go on.

I would also build up first a full landscape (means first all test systems, then all QA and then production) so the whole landscape is ready and people can work. Also do you backup concept and test in on the test landscape so you can be sure for production you only have to set it up.

I would go for Oracle 10.2.0.4 (+ the 28 actual interims) instead of 10.2.0.2 during installation, this will save you some more downtime later when you need to upgrade at some point.

Here are some notes you can read:

1048303 - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.x: Installation and upgrade

1122388 - Linux: VMware ESX Server 3 configuration guideline

999524 - Oracle 10.2 platform support for Async IO

1137346 - Oracle Database 10g: Patches for Release 10.2.0.4

And btw: If you use Linux - you can use the "native" virtualization (XEN) instead of VMWare, much cheaper - and supported - and it works GREAT.

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I totally forgot - you need to start with Solution Manager of course...You need to generate the SolMan installation keys for the others...

Markus

Answers (0)