cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing Data Source connection

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have added a data source using the Visual Administrator. How can I test the database connection from VA? (Other application servers allow me to test database connections from their admin tool). Or can it only be tested from a deployed application?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

there is a shell command (named TEST_DS) that allows you to test a datasource. For more info about the command (as well as other commands for working with the DB), see <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/06/37c8886ccd4759ae64ba831431864a/frameset.htm">this</a> page.

To execute the command, do the following;

1. Connect via telnet to the J2EE Engine using "telnet <host> <telnet_port>".

2. Login as Administrator.

3. execute <b>jump 0</b> to jump to the server node.

4. execute <b>add dbpool</b> to add the commands to the shell envronment.

5. execute the TEST_DS command.

Hope that helps!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ivaylo for the info on TEST_DS. I was able to test the datasource connection using that approach.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

One way of testing is when you create a dtasource, click on the tab statement, and here you create an SQL statement- a simple select statement would do. Select this statement and click execute button.

If your datasource is setup correctly it will display records from the table you have queried.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can also set the number of initial connections to something greater than zero. Restart the datasource, and if you don't get an error message, your connection information was correct. You can also jump to the Monitoring tab and see a nice graph of allocated connections.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

don't have a system right now but as far as I remeber once you have set up the Data Source and tried to save it it automatically tries to connect to the DB. If this fails it gives you an error. If not your have successfully created a Data Source and its ready for usage. Authentication tests however are not posible with this. Therefore you have to write a litte application accessing tables on the DB

regards Ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response. I'm not convinced it checks because I entered a bogus user id and password and it did not give me an error when I saved it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

You are right, we dont have the option of testing the JDBC DataSource which is created using the Visual Administrator.

You can only do it when you are trying to create a connection through your application.

Regards,

S.Divakar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Divakar,

Are there any plans to integrate the test_ds command into a future version of VA (or some derivative that combines all admin functionality into one program)?