cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between storage location and storage type?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please explain me the difference between a storage location and a storage type.

I would really appreciate if I get an example for the same.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Christino

A storage type generally contains several storage spaces or slots. These are called storage bins in Warehouse Management (WM). The storage bin is the smallest available unit of space in a warehouse. The storage bin therefore describes the position in the warehouse where the goods are or can be stored.

Storage location I feel no need to explain as you would be aware of.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Storage type is an identification point is defined in the WM system .To define a storage type as an identification point, see Storage units ® Master data ® Define storage type control in the Warehouse Management IMG documentation.It is just like a Staging Area where the materials are kept.

Ex: high rack storage,fixed bin storage,etc..

this is assigned to Warehouse number.If u r planning to configure complete warehouse management, u should define storage types.

Storage location is an organizational unit allowing differentiation between the various stocks of a material in a plant. it is a subdivision of plant.if u want to configure Lean warehouse management, u should configure at storage location level.number of storage locations can be assigned to one plant..

hope it helps..

regards..

yogi..

former_member396676
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Pl go through these links,explained with examples.

[Storage Type|http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_03/helpdata/EN/c6/f838f94afa11d182b90000e829fbfe/content.htm]

[Storage location|http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_03/helpdata/EN/ff/515a5c49d811d182b80000e829fbfe/content.htm]

Storage location is within Plant while storage types are in warehouse facility.

Thanks,

Vrajesh

Edited by: Vrajesh Nayak on Jul 25, 2008 8:26 AM

Edited by: Vrajesh Nayak on Jul 25, 2008 8:26 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

storage type is part of warehouse management

A warehouse number is divided up into a number of storage types. A storage type is defined on the basis of its spatial or organizational features (for example, high rack storage area, bulk storage area, goods receipt area).

if u want to store different materials u can use the storage type

within the storage type there is storage bins and within the storage bins there is quants

these are useful for further classification to store the materials

storage location is not related to this but warehouse is assigned to the storage location

regards

srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Storage Location : An organizational unit facilitating differentiation between the various stocks of a material within a plant. In siple words, storage location is the place where we keep the goods physically.

Storage Type:

A physical or logical subdivision of a complex warehouse (= warehouse number), distinguished by the warehouse procedures used or its organization form or function. A storage type is defined on the basis of its spatial or organizational features.

Eg: high rack storage area, bulk storage area , goods receipt area.

Prase

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasant,

In that case say we have raw materials as well as finished goods in our plant.

So,we will have 2 storage locations for each and 2 storage types for each.Isn't it?

And both are basically physical location of keeping stock.

So, I am still not clear about them?

Edited by: Christino Ronaldo on Jul 25, 2008 2:20 PM