Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JAVA MEMORY SETTINGS for 6.40/700

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm asking myself the following question :

In the configtools there is 3 tabs "Instance" "Dispatcher" "Server"

If I want follow recommendations form OSS note 723909.

i.e : If I want set the heap size to 2048M where should I set this parameter on the "Instance" or individually on each node "Instance" + "Dispatcher" + "Server"

The same for the others Java parameters like GC etc....

If I well understood the "Instance" is like the "Default profile" for R3 and the "Server" is like the "Instance profile" for R3 so

Instance = Global

Server = Local

I'm correct or ?? if I'm correct is there a best practice to configure these Java parameters ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

DR

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes I'm Happy now

Thanks

DR

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have only 1 AS JAVA so 1 Server node.

If I set the Java paremeter in the "Instance" do I need to put the same parameter for the "Server" node ?

BR,

DR

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The note says you must make the changes for the server node specifically so this is where you will put the changes. You must not put the parameter changes in the "Instance". Click on the server_ID under instance_ID and put in your changes under "General" tab -> Java parameters:

Clear ?

Nelis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

First of all Thanks for the answer,

Do I need to change also the "Instance" as well ?

Kind regards,

DR

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm not sure I understand you.

The "Instance" in this case refers to either a single JAVA AS with one or more server nodes(and a single dispatcher) or several "Instances" ie additional JAVA dialog instances also with their own server nodes.

All JAVA "Instances" together make up the cluster. The Global Configuration refers to all servers or all dispatchers that make up the cluster. To clarify, if you change the configuration under the instance_ID for a particular server node it will only effect that instance. If you change it Globally it will effect all "Instances" in the cluster.

Is this what you are referring too ?

Regards,

Nelis

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dominique,

In that same note you refer too you will see another reference to how to use configtool - [Note 710146 - How to change J2EE Engine JVM Settings|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/710146].

In this note it says:

Start the configtool.bat (.sh on unix), select cluster_data/instance_ID.../server_ID... and make the change in the "Java parameters" field. If you have more than one server node, you need to apply the change to every server node and also to the dispatcher node.

Regards,

Nelis