cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel directory can be changed?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus

i want to know whether the kernel directory /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/run can be changed from this refrence to the c:\kernel ( in windows) and /kernel ( unix). if it can be changed pls refre the steps to me or is there any logic reason cannot be changed?

regards

bala

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus

if u changed the softlink then at the sametime u should change few parameters in the instance profile and the spaparam parameters. what are the parameters should be change and the what are the envioement varialbles like SH_LIBPATH should be changed?

regards

bala

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No env variables should be affected.... Go one step at a time..

Try that first and see what happen... If you do to many changes a one time then will be difficult to keep track.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks for reply. this is type of practical learning. even i am not going to implement or break the rules but due to knowlege gain i am asking the steps.

dont misunderstand me?

regards

bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, I understand.

But I doubt that anybody here has got the steps you are looking for, just because nobody ever tried.

If I really, really had do do it, I would try a bit, get error messages, learn from the error messages, try again, and so on.

hope this helps

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I presume the first thing to try is that usually the /usr/sap/<sid>/SYS/exe/run folder is a softlink to /sapmnt/<sid>/exe so you could create a new directory in root called kernel and change the softlink to /kernel.

Try that.

regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus

if it can be done. i need the steps how to do it. i could check in the test system .

regards

bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi gurus

thanks for ur replies.

this is tricky question asked by a interviewer to my friend. I said no to him. but he says it can be done by changing the env path and soft and hard links in unix and same in windows by changing the path in regedit and env path.

so i got doubt and asking the question?

regards

bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

As others pointed out: It can be done, but why should you?

Maybe your friend should have answered exactly that ...

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There's an old saying that "if it's not broken, dont fix it"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It could be possible but you're asking for trouble and as Juan said, there is no logical reason for that...

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

U should not change the run directory path,

First time i am listening, for which task u need this.

Regards

Bhaskar

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

why would you do that?

Never tried this because i can't find a valid reason to change it...

Regards

Juan