cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standards for creating fields & table names

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I need to know if there are any SAP standards or standards from clients to be followed in creating new fields, tables & description.

If there are any such data, please share with me.

Urgent.

Regards,

Pramod

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

Standards formats are provided by SAP at market place for Customer,Vendor,Employee ,Material and Business partner.In the business content provided are the tables and fields and data modelling acc to standards.

Rgds

Ankit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ankit,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I will use the Name & Code that is present in the standard repository.

Can you tell me which is the best place to find descriptions?

Regards,

Pramod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Description are for the Name and Code depende on the specif PROJECT Naming and Coding Conventions..... it differs from project to project and also SAP Standards are taken care...

for example : For SAP-MDM Implementation of RELIANCE TELECOM.

Creation of New Table : RT_tablename_type

here RT is the abbrevation for Reliance Telecom

table name is the free text

type .. u can use first two letter of the table type for Example : Flat : FL , Qualified : QA etc....

Note : It can vary from company to comany and project to project Naming and Coding Standards.....

REWARD POINTS II USEFUL.

regards,

Jay.

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pramod,

mostly we're using a common Term for the field name. The field code is the field name in uppercase using MDM_ as prefix. As you have to replace blanks (a field code does not allow blanks) we use an _ instead. Note: if you want to distinguish between SAP created and custom fields, we recommend using a different prefix! Maybe you can start your Custom field codes with ZMDM or a prefix describing your customer? Currently we cannot enforce this in MDM as the MDM_ prefix is not yet protected. But if you follow our recommendation, it'll ease up your life and of course ours, too, as we can differentiate between SAP and customer fields in OSS messages.

Edit: regarding descriptions

If your field is somehow linked with a ERP field, you could reuse the description of ERP for example!

Cheers

Michael

Edited by: Michael Theis on Jul 25, 2008 10:57 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The name and code are in acc to project standards and scope.

U shd name the fields as originals and codes too.

Like Address can be name as ADDRESS_NAME and code as ADDRESS_Code.

This whole depends on the source files which ur importing as naming conventions will help in Value and field mappings and also during syndication to respective systems.

Rgds

Ankit

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pramod

I am listing some of the best practices for naming convention to be followed in MDM:

1> Use same field description from ECC for field name and in code replace the blank spaces with underscores. This helps in doing automapping the fields.

2> In case your source data is non SAP system follow the logical Data model naming conventions which will again help in Mapping the fields while importing n syndicating.

3> Use Z prefix for fields which you are adding in the Std repositories.

4> Also depending upon the field type we can add suitable suffix. Like for all Qualifiers in Qualified table add _Q and _NQ for non qualifiers.

hope this helped.

Regards-

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pramod,

There is no SAP standard to create Fields and Tables .It all depends on your Project,and mainly on source system Table and Fields.

Like I was doing one project for which i was using business content but as per client requirement i had to change name of some fields (which client specified).Morover depending upon requirement i had to even modify Business content .Like i had to make some fields Qualified but they were LookUp Flat in Business Content.

Regards,

Neethu.