Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Role

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

If a particular role is captured in a CR (and not released) and then further changes are made to that role. It is not necessary to capture it again with the same transport number. Is this right?

regards

Ravi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bernhard_SAP
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

(and also all other posters...),

please read the SAP note #571276.

It is stated there explicitely, that in contrast to regular transports, the moment of transport creation is relevant, and not the moment of releasing the transport!

(point 1. a) )

So if your role is contained in a transport and you make changes to that role (especially authorization data) afterwards, the possibility is high, that these changes not get captured 8completly) in the transport.

Please take care about this fact!

b.rgds,

Bernhard

8 REPLIES 8

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Suppose,

1. You have added an object manually into a role and captured in CR.

2. You have again made the changes to another object in the same role.

Now,

If you want both the changes to be transported you can capture in the previous CR (step-1).

Regards,

Srihari

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> It is not necessary to capture it again with the same transport number. Is this right?

Yes. At the moment you release your transport task the actual state of the role is entered in the transport.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

As you have not released the role. you can do n-number of changes.

Please note that Creation of transport request is just Adding the transportables,

Where as once the transport is released, the data or roles associated with the transport is being placed(downloaded) in Data and Co-files.

So, further if we do changes, that will br not over-written.

In your case any how you are not released the transport,you can go ahead with the further chages.

Regards

Sumanth Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

> If a particular role is captured in a CR (and not released) and then further changes are made to that role. It is not necessary to capture it again with the same transport number. Is this right?

Is there any option to choose: Both of the above?

Cheers,

Julius

Bernhard_SAP
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

(and also all other posters...),

please read the SAP note #571276.

It is stated there explicitely, that in contrast to regular transports, the moment of transport creation is relevant, and not the moment of releasing the transport!

(point 1. a) )

So if your role is contained in a transport and you make changes to that role (especially authorization data) afterwards, the possibility is high, that these changes not get captured 8completly) in the transport.

Please take care about this fact!

b.rgds,

Bernhard

0 Kudos

Thanks for that!

If I read the note correctly tghis warning only applies to the generated profiles so regenerating in the target systems (tr. SUPC) should take care of that.

Every time you change the authorization data of a role and regenerate the profile, you must create a new transport request. This is also the case if the role is part of older requests that have not yet been released. Otherwise, the transported profiles are not current.

But isn't re-entering the role into the request the same?

Anyway, a very interesting note and a valuable addition to my library.

0 Kudos

...in fact I did not try that yet...

My expirience is, that some times administrators don't follow that description (unintentionally????) and get then strange results in the target system. So I really can suggest to get used to the procedure to enter the role into the transport only after changes to auth.-data have been finished.

I think the profile data gets collected on time stamp basis, so re-entering the role can be a possible procedure. Do you have positive expiriences doing so?

b.rgds, Bernhard

0 Kudos

> so re-entering the role can be a possible procedure. Do you have positive expiriences doing so?

Actually, I haven't had negative experiences with role transports at all. But now I know it's something to take care of.....