cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between SAP XI Dev and XI Admin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have worked as SAP basis Administrator and also into HR Security area. However I intend to learn XI/PI 7.0.

I need to know the difference between XI Dev and xi Admin. To my knowledge, XI Dev involves the knowledge of either ABAP or Java. Can anybody help in finding out what prequisites do we need to get into Admin site of it.

Also the scope for Admin professionals.

Your response will be appreciated <removed by moderator>

Edited by: Mike Pokraka on Jul 25, 2008 8:46 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

with both the replies i understand that the knowledge of ABAp or Java is needed to kick off XI.

Can you please advice me to go for Abap or Java. As I am a novice in both the fields, I guess your suggestions must be the deciding factor.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Now a days there is much compition in the SAP XI/PI development(Technical consultants...).

Every ABAPer and Java guy is learning XI/PI.

I don't know your technical ablities - I don't think so, U can develop ABAP/Java objects as like as ABAPer/Java guy.

If U know the ABAP/Java already, thats different story. U can start learning XI/PI easily.

As a Basis consultant, comming to Development area, preparing resume... and getting job is........ it seems little bit tuff.

Better you focus in NW admin only. Market for NW admin will be pertty much good( with multiple skills like DBA, all NW components installation knowledge - like APO, CRM, X-Apps...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priyanka,

I would suggest instead of entering into programming skills will be very difficult for anybody from administration.

Instead this try to work around with installation of XI and security roles which are again an added advantage for basis.

Try to work with complete NW technology and then side by side try to work with XI as its an middleware technology which is easier to understand if your basics are good.

Thanks

Sudharshan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

XI needs some ABAP and core Java knowledge, you know ADMIN then it is very helpful to you. If you know little ABAP and core Java knowledge(to write UDFs) then it is very useful to you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Better to learn the ABAP, because the ABAP part is high and java part is less, by using the java code we can write the UDFs and perform Java mapping.

you may not learn the entire java, learn the UTIL package thats enough.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Scope of XI/PI Development is to Design & Develop Interfces with different Adapters/Proxies.

Knowledge in ABAP or Java is aditonal advantage.

Scope of XI/PI Admin is do install/configure systems within ABAP stack(SAP server) and Java stack(Visual Admin). like ALE configuration, SAP-XI connectivity, Drivers Deployment, RFC, Queues, ICF, Visual Admin, SLD, User Maintenance in SAP ERP and SAP XI/PI...

In future there'll be no specific XI/PI admin concept. The new role is called Netweaver admin, where U have to do all NW components(Portals, XI/PI, MDM, BI...)