cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whether to take Offline (or) Online backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am planning to apply support pack 14 now I am in SP13 before applying SP14 I am planning to take Database backup.

What is recommended whether to take Offline or Online backup,

Can any one explain which the best way to take backup is.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Pandu,

You have 54 open Questions out of 54 you asked.

Please dont leave more than 10 open questions.You already have 117 post with 54 open thread.Please close it as it would be easier for others to trace having similar issues.

How can it be possible that you didnt find a solution for any of your 54 open questions.

PS: Please make a habit of following your post.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Edited by: ashutosh singh on Jul 24, 2008 1:51 PM

former_member1351727
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Taking a successful backup is must(suggested) before Support pack implementation.

However online/offiline anything will be ok.

As online backup is taken to minimise the downtime for SAP application.

If you can get a downtime you can go for offline backup..

Say if you can not get downtime then go for online backup.Given you are running in archive log mode.During this performance will be little degraded.that is why suggested to run online backup in off -peak hours

You can go for a online backup before night(starting of SP implementation) and before starting the support packs do a log switch and then do a archive backup and make a note of that log number and start the SP implementation.

In case of problems when you have to restore the backup restore the backup and recover until the log number which we generated just before the SP implementation...

Thanks.

Edited by: Vani n on Jul 24, 2008 2:28 PM

Edited by: Vani n on Jul 24, 2008 2:30 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

One should take full offline backup atleast once a week.

However if you planning for to apply support pack I would suggest take full offline backup before you proceed.It is a best practice.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>One should take full offline backup atleast once a week.

That is just a SAP admin wish. In real life, we have to respect the SLA and if the system must be up 24/24 7/7, no offline backup is possible...

In fact you should take offline backups as often as possible which maybe from every night up to never !

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Well if u can afford for a down time, take the full offline backup with redo log files.

or else go for online backup with redo logs.

Regards,

Srihari