Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move the changes from one system to other without using CMS

susmita_panigrahi
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

In our project they are migrating NWDI 6.40 to NWDI 7.0.

During migration CMS won't be available.

Could you plesae tell what are the different options are there to move the WebDynpro changes from (NWDS) Development to Quality system and then production system without using CMS server?

If i will create a development package and import this packgae in Quality package will my new changes also be available in Quality server?

Thanks & Regards

Susmita

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Jordan_Stanchev
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

is using command line tool an option in your case? You get them with the NWDS installation, see

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/61/1c57428a070e53e10000000a155106/frameset.htm

Regards, Jordan

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Susmita

I wasn't completely sure, but from your description of your problem, it seemed like you would have access to your DTR during your upgrade. The following solution assumes as much. If this is not the case, you'll need to do things slightly differently, but the solution will still be possible.

Depending on the scope and size of your changes, it may be practical for your developers to deploy directly from their NetWeaver Developer Studio (or for a designated administrator to install the NWDS and do the same). To do so, from the Development Configurations perspective, create a new NWDS project for each of the DCs you want to deploy. Then right-click the project and choose from one of the deployment options. (Deploy new archive and run will allow you to see if your deployment has taken effect.) When deploying, the target server is the one set up as your J2EE engine in the NWDS properties - you'll consequently have to modify this when the target server for your deployment changes (from QA to production, or vice versa).

Note that this is only applicable in certain situations, and only as a short term stopgap measure. This sort of practice - developers or administrators deploying haphazardly to servers other than those intended for development - is precisely what the NWDI is designed to prevent (and is one of very few things it's fairly good at doing). For instance, if your QA and production systems are attached as TEST and PROD runtimes systems respectively in your NWDI, a full assembly and subsequent full deployment would usually occur to these servers when deploying with the NWDI. This is a much stronger guarantee of consistency than the build that will be performed within your local NWDS to deploy your changes. (Conversely, the rigidity of the assembly is perhaps the NWDI's greatest design flaw.)

(Also, Snehal: thanks for the information on the sapmake_util blog. It's not something I've encountered before and looks very useful.)

James

susmita_panigrahi
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks for quick reply.

I am using NWDS 2.0.15 only.

Could you plesase describe in detail what is sapmake_util and what is the steps to use it?

Using NWDS 2.0.15 how i will create SCA file?When i am deploying an application .ear file stored in my workspace.

Thanks & Regards

Susmita

snehal_kendre
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

first you need to download sapmake_util from market place.

here is the blog which explains all

now the steps are.

1. unzip sapmake_util.zip file and keep it in folder where your SAP IDE (NWDS) is installed.

2. you need to set environment varibles. those you will get in

My computer->properties->advanced->environment varibles.

check blog for it. you need to ser java_home, path & sap_ide

After all you installation. if you are ready to use sapmake_util then follow these steps.

1. copy all .ear, .sda (i.e. all deployable files & not .jar file) in a folder.

2. this tool is used from command prompt. so start cmd. go to the sapmake_util folder.

and use just a simple command

sca.bat <folder where all ears & sdas are kept> <name>.sca

you will get your deployable package in the sapmake_util folder.

and now you can use it.

snehal_kendre
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI,

If CMS is not available then only option in you hand is.

1.create deployment package, i.e. SCA file of all your development and deploy it on quality and production server through SDM utility such as Remote GUI, or JSPM.

And to create an sca file you can use utilities like sapmake_util or if your are using NWDS CE 7.1 then there as an option to create SCA file of imported software component in development infrastructure perspective