cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NullPointerException during binding of adaptive webservice model to ui

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

I try to consume a webservice over the adaptive web service model and webdnypro. My scenario is similiar to the tutorial on the sdn about "sending an email over webservices with webdynpro".

My request has the following structure:

[Request_AddNewActivity]
  [AddNewActivity]
    [ActivityData]
      ActivityType - int
      Description - string
      DoneBy - string
      FromDate - date
      Subject - string
      ToDate - date
    ServiceCallId - int
  [AddNewActivity_Response]
    [AddNewActivityResponse]

The webservice has a void return value, therefor there is no field in the response part. I have created a model binding in the context of the component controller and an associated mapping in the view context. Additionally I generated a form by applying the form template to the view and the ActivityData.

In the wdDoInit method of the component controller I initialize the Request_AddNewActivity and bind it to the context:

scServiceModel = new SCServiceModel();

Request_AddNewActivity request = new Request_AddNewActivity(scServiceModel);	  
AddNewActivityRequest addNewActivityRequest = new AddNewActivityRequest(scServiceModel);
Activity activitiy = new Activity(scServiceModel);
addNewActivityRequest.setActivity(activitiy);
request.setAddNewActivity(addNewActivityRequest);

wdContext.nodeRequest_AddNewActivity().bind(request);

When I now open the view, I get a NullPointerException:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.model.webservice.gci.WSTypedModelClass.getAttributeValueAsInt(WSTypedModelClass.java:162)
    at .....netweaver.model.scservice.Activity.getActivityType(Activity.java:47)
    at ...netweaver.viewemployeeservicecalls.wdp.IPublicViewEmployeeServiceCalls$IActivityDataElement.wdGetObject(IPublicViewEmployeeServiceCalls.java:5948)
    at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.progmodel.context.MappedNodeElement.wdGetObject(MappedNodeElement.java:55)
    at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.progmodel.context.AttributePointer.getObject(AttributePointer.java:324)
    ... 104 more

I can avoid the NullPointerException by removing the Activity = new Activity(...) and the addNewActivityRequest.setActivity(...) lines from the wdDoInit Method. Unfortunately the input fields are then disabled in the browser and no data can be entered. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help,

Thierry

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

PradeepBondla
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Your error shows that there is an error with ActivityType attribute which is "int". what is the value in the backend and is it a import parameter? what you are passing to this attribute or how you are getting this variable?

error is there in .getActivityType(). while getting the integer value.

The error is around this attribute only. check this once again.

PradeeP

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just try to display an input field on the view, where the int can be entered. I can see that there is an error with this int, but this is strange.

Hmm... I added two more lines in the wdDoInit method in the component controller where i put the int fields of the model to 0. And now it works. This is a very strange behaviour or better say this is a bug. An int field is a primitive type which should be 0 initialized anyway... Has anyone came accross the same problem?

Thierry

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thierry,

I just ran into this problem too. Restarting the server did not help, so I have used your workaround, initializing each integer value.

Did you by any chance find out if there is a fix for this bug?

Thanks,

René

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I came across a similar problem to the one above. Again it became a NullPointerException when setting an int field in a model. I figured out that the problem in this case was the server or the deployment. I reimported the model before and it looked like the developer studio didn't completly redeploy the new model and therefor the server didn't know the new field. After restarting the server, the application worked as expected.

So can anyone tell me please, where one can report bugs?

Greetings Thierry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Inorder to take Adaptive web service model you should to take Webservice model (deprecated last one) and then it will work.

let me know

Thanks,

Tulasi

Former Member
0 Kudos

It works now when I initialize the int fields with a value (e.g. 0). But this looks for me like a bug...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi can you tell me what type of Webservice ?

i mean R/3 or java webservice

Thanks,

Tulasi

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is a .net webservice consumed over the "new model -> adaptive webservice model".