cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central MDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Can anyone tell me about central master data management ?

Is it cenrtally carrying out of processes such as consolidation and harmonization?

I am also refering to Help.sap.com links. Please help me understand by sharing experience if anybody has wokked on such scenario.

Thanks in advancem

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all of you for your help.

I am sure this will help many readers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Basic MDM scenarios consists of

Consolidation,Harmonization,CMDM(Central MDM)

Consider a landscape where u hav 3 systems(SAP or non SAP).Before going for central creation of data in MDM ,u need nedd to get the data from 3 system consolidate it(cleanse it,standardise it,deduplication) then harmonise it (send it bac to respective system using remote key concept).After this then u can go for CMDM.

Further data has to be created only in MDM through portal.

Regards

Nisha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aditya,

There are three basic scenario`s that we follow:

1. Master Data Consolidation

2. Master Data Harmonization

3. Central Master Data Management.

Now it actually depends on the Business how it want its system to work.

Sometimes if the Business wants to remove the duplication existing among its master data completely then the process follows according to the above mentioned steps i.e Consolidation , Harmonization and then Central Master Data Management.

But it even happens that the Business directly wants to go with the third step i.e. CMDM.

But in any of the scenario CMDM is must because it helps us to maintain the Business data effectively and efficiently.

After MDM is put into the business scenario all the operations related to the Master records are done in MDM only. For Eg: Creating a record, Deleting a record, Distributing a record etc.

Now it is the work of CMDM to centrally maintain the data and check that no duplicate enteries can be created.

And all the various systems that are attached to MDM gets the updates from CMDM with the help of Syndication Process or Distribution Process.

Hope this would be helpful!!!!!!!

Regards,

Parul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aditya,

Central Master Data Management u2014

1. All of Content Consolidation PLUS

2. All of Master Data Harmonization PLUS

3. All master data information resides centrally

4. One stop data maintenance

An example of this can be Central product data pool supplying product data to multiple locations for production, assembly, sales and distribution.

The emphasis in the Master Data Harmonization scenario is on local data maintenance whereas in the Central Master Data Management scenario focuses on cleansing data in the central data repository. It then distributes the cleansed data to the connected application

systems.

Hope it will help you.

Regards

Richa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aditya,

MDM Consists of three basic scenarios

1. Consolidation

2. Harmonization

3. Central Master Data Management

In CMDM we create and manage master data centrally i.e. using Data Manager only. Here Import manager doesn't comes into picture but you can send data out from MDM using Syndicator. So CMDM is create data in MDM and send it to other systems.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Beofre sharing some of experiences on Centrally Managed Master Data. I'd like to share definitions of MDM basic scenrios.

Master Data Consolidation

Importing the Data from different systems using MDM Import Manager and consolidate it i.e. identifying duplicates etc.

Involves MDM Import Manager and MDM Data Manager.

Master Data Harmonization

Harmonization involves importing data from different systems, consolidate it and then distribute consolidates Master data to different systems.

Uses MDM Import Manager, MDM Data Manager and MDM Syndicator

Central Master Data Management

Its a creation of Master Data in MDM itself i.e. using Data Manager and then syndicate the master records to the desired systems.

To be precise,CMDM indicates all master data is maintained in the central MDM system. No maintenance of global master data fields occurs in the connected client systems.No transactional data as well

In particular sub-tables containing customizing data (like company codes, etc.) will always need to be consolidated before the central creation scenario gets operational.

An MDM Central Master Data management is not an isolated scenario. Usually depending on the business case and on the Implementation phase the other scenarios will be necessary.

In practice more scenarios can be built from a combination of the three main scenarios(MDC,MDH and CMDM). For example some customers implement a mixture between MDC and CMDM. In that case in spite that data is being created centrally in MDM, local Master Data may still be created at the client systems, and than consolidated in MDM.

From ome of the sources i read, Consolidation and Harmonization procedures are very different from CMDM (central master data management), however often times CMDM is not very useful without considering the other two as well.

Consolidation essentially means creating identity around your master data across your landscape. More specifically you want to identify duplicate records and merge them into one record. Harmonization is the process of pushing the new cleansed data back out to your partner systems.

Central master data management is the process of creating and managing enterprise level attributes in one place. One common mistake that people make is that central master data management means having one place to create your records and containing ALL data. This is not correct, MDM focuses on enterprise level attributes. In other words, which attributes are KPI's, shared across multiple processes in scope, shared across multiple systems, important for reporting, need ultimate quality, etc. Once you have determined your data model then you begin developing the workflow (if needed) around the creation of master data. This way you can easily keep your data clean and free of duplicates moving forward following a consolidation and harmonization process.

I am sure, this would be helpful to you and all SDNers.

Regards,

Krutarth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aditya,

In CMDM, master data records are created,stored and maintained centrally,and are distributed to target systems as required.CMDM differs from MDH in that the data is created and maintained centrally in SAP Netweaver MDM and then distributed to client systems rather than being created locally in the client systems,then imported into SAP Netweaver MDM and then distributd back to the client systems.

Regards,

Preethi