cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IAC vs. Transaction iViews

Former Member
0 Kudos

We will be converting some of our stand alone ITS services to integrated as part of ESS/MSS upgrade. We've also modified some of these which of course we'll carry forward to integrated.

My question has to do with straight unmodified transactions. We would typically create an SAP Transaction iView in SAPGUI for HTML which runs something like

..../sap/bc/gui/sap/its/webgui?&sap-client=100&sap-language=EN&~transaction=PZ40

...behind the scenes I think. Is this correct? If so are there any advantages/disadvantages to this approach vs. creating IAC's even though modifications to templates may not be needed? Are there additional application layers, complexity, performance issues running webgui?&~transaction=PZ40 vs a straight PA40 IAC/WebService?

Thanks,

Doug

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Doug,

the service webgui differs to other IACs. Although the service webgui uses templates

like other IACs it cannot be modified by customers. Of course you can modify it but

that's not a good idea

IACs use templates for building a user interface that is different from that one builded

using the ABAP/Dynpro screen painter, while webgui should look like 'raw' SAP transactions

as they can be used using the SAPGui for Java or the SAPGui for Windows.

So: It depends on what you want to do. Running PZ40 using the webgui should be possible

and there are no performance issues at all.

Are there special templates in the service PZ40? If not, I assume the parameter

~generate_dynpro has been set for it, right?

What is about the current situation when running it using the stand alone ITS?

regards

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tobias,

As to your last question... since we are looking at taking some ESS/MSS content to WebDynpro it makes sense to make the move to integrated ITS for remaining service based functions so we can eliminate that environment. We do have some modified templates in that we'll have to carry forward into integrated and I'm working on that process now. For untouched services however I wanted to understand if there were any downsides to running them through the webgui service. My working assumptions are that...

1.) SAP Transaction iViews in WebGui mode run the named transaction through the webgui ITS service.

2.) If so, that service is kind of big and complex when you look at it in SE80. Are there any downsides?

3.) I assume that the webgui service is just a bigger, more complex service that can render any transaction. Am I oversimplifying this?

We are setting the ~GENERATEDYNPRO=1 parameter.

Basically what are the differences (downsides) between running a transaction through the webgui service and creating one on your own, even if no modifications are needed?

Thanks for your insights.

Doug

former_member316351
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Doug,

I think you're confusing some of us here because we see the Webgui as the easier and simpler approach, without a downside.

What you have said in (1) is correct.

For (2), the only downside I can see is a security issue. You will have to make sure that users do not use the activated webgui service for other transactions that they should not use. There are several ways to do this. Of course user authorizations can handle this, but you can also use the ~webgui_simple_toolbar service parameter (note 1010519) to eliminate the okcode field so that users cannot alter the URL and then run any transaction...

for (3), the webgui IS the only service that can run just about any transaction on a web browser. (there are a few limitations).

The bigger question is, why would you think about creating your own templates when you do not want to make any modifications? Are you looking for some other feature?

Edgar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Edgar,

Sorry for the confusion. It looked also to me that webgui was a simple one service fits all approach, but wanted to poll the forums to see if anyone had had problems with this "super service" from a performance standpoint or maybe it falls down in faithfully rendering 100% of transactions. From what I'm hearing that's not the case.

Thanks for the insights. Points on the way. Please feel free to build on this if there is more to add for everyone's future benefit.

Doug

Answers (0)