cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raw Device

0 Kudos

Hello,

I am planning to migrate an existing maxdb to a new server hardware. I thinking about using raw devices for the data volumes. My question is, has using raw devices real advantages on linux over "normal" file system in conjunction with the parameter USE_OPEN_DIRECT ?

Thanks

Tiberius

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tiberius,

the advantage should be rather neglectable. When using filesystems you will always have a bit overhead due to filesystemmanagement and you've to be careful about which filesystem you choose.

On the other hand - what do you want to do with MaxDB volumes in the filesystem? There's no backup-per-filecopy as it is with Oracle databases.

Therefore rawdevices are giving you everything you really need for MaxDB databases. And as these are less complex (no os/filesystem overhead) they are less error prone and easier to manage than filesystems (ok, sure you've to actually know how to manage them).

regards,

Lars

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We are running our MaxDBs on RAW devices for a long time (8+ years) and it worked very well. We had cases where after a crash the automatic fsck "repaired" a volume - only apparently - because it was hosed up after that.

Markus

0 Kudos

thank You for the answers. I am not new to linux and MaxDB, but I never used raw devices until now. Where can I find a tutorial how to setup maxdb with raw devices ? Is 1 raw device=1 data volume ? Are there special parameters to set/change ? Or should I give one big partition to maxdb ..?

Thanks

Tiberius

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tiberius,

yes, one raw device will be one MaxDB Volume.

Usually you would use the raw command on Linux to configure the raw-device access.

After this is done (so that the raw devices are usuable via /dev/rawN) you can simply use the DBMGUI/DB Studio to add the volumes to the database.

regards,

Lars

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We use "partitions" - for a 2 TB database we create 4 x 500 GB LUNs and use (c)fdisk to create 14 partitions. Then those are mapped vi /etc/raw (on SuSE) from block to character devices.

Markus

0 Kudos

ok, I will try my luck.

regards

Tiberius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Markus,

There is a way to you share a step by step on how to do that partition? i'm interested because all my installation i do using ext3, and like to follow some best patterns and i think you have one.

best regards.

Clóvis

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have you tried [Google|http://tinyurl.com/yb9tx3e] ?

Nelis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Nelis,

You have that knowledge? can you share a step by step installation on linux from scratch, from partition, to maxdb configuration? for example how you configure a machine to be used only for maxdb, that have dual quad core processors, and 6 SAS hardisk, (3 RAID 1 will be mounted) and 24GB of ram?

all my searchs goes to SAP Note, but i dont have a password to read SAP note, as i'm from community, is too frustating that some good knowledge are only inside SAP notes, why SAP dont share that with community too? or put that info in documentation?

best regards, and please, next time reply with a really usefull answer.

Clóvis

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> all my searchs goes to SAP Note, but i dont have a password to read SAP note, as i'm from community, is too frustating that some good knowledge are only inside SAP notes, why SAP dont share that with community too? or put that info in documentation?

Well, maybe it's because raw-disk-configuration is not a topic of SAP software?

Once the raw-device is properly installed, the MaxDB configuration part is just the same as for filesystem data volumes.

regards,

Lars

Answers (0)