cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is J2EE engine a must for Web Services?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

When I installed mySAP (version 6.4) on our test system, I don't recall installing the J2EE server. Things were working fine until today when I decided to experiment with Web Services.

When you run transaction WSADMIN, the list of Web Services shows two Web services by default:

SRT_TESTS_FB_ADD_WSD

SRT_TESTS_FB_SUM_WSD

When I select any one and click on "Web Services Home Page", I get an error "Settings for J2EE Server do not exist."

My understanding is that J2EE server would be needed only if I wish to develop a Web Service in Java. To develop a Web Service in ABAP (which is our case), I do not really need this.

What am I missing? Is it that these two Web services that show up by default written in Java? How can I verify this?

Also, is there any "Hello World!" ABAP Web Service article out there that I can peruse?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Pradeep

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

if you want to write WebServices in ABAP then you definitely do not need a J2EE engine installed. The

ABAP part of the Netweaver is sufficient for that.

Have a look at

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/9b/dad1ae3908ee44a5caf57e10918be9/frameset.htm and then under "Web Service Toolset" -> "Examples" to get an idea of how its set up.

Never the less if you choose to do a WebService in Java then you of course need a J2EE engine for it.

regards Ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Come to think of it, even if I write my Web Service in Java, why would I need J2EE engine?

Pradeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Come to think of it, even if I write my Web Service

> in Java, why would I need J2EE engine?

>

> Pradeep

When you write a web service in Java on NetWeaver, you are really creating a deployable servlet that accepts an XML SOAP request and turns it into a method call on the server. So, you are exposing server functionality via a remote interface, that just happens to look like a Java class when you're developing it.

Actually, you can expose both EJB Session Beans and normal Java classes as web services. Just depends on how you want to do it.

Oh, and the web container is part of the J2EE engine. That's why you need it.

Hope that helps,

- Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo,

There is no "Reply" button available on your message. I am using this message to reply to you.

Thank you for your help. I actually found a tutorial on running Web Services wizard for ABAP RFC. I managed to create a "Hello World!" example, generate its WSD and release the Web Service. Now, in transaction "WSADMIN," it shows my Web service as:

> Z_HW_WSD

- My HW WSD default_host/sap/bc/srt/rfc/sap/Z_HW_WSD

Here is what I do next:

1. Select "My HW WSD" and click on "Web Services Homepage" icon.

2. Check "Include SAP Features in WSDL" and "Document Style." Hit OK.

I get the same error: "Setting for J2EE Server do not exist."

When I click on the error to get help, the message number I get is SRT_REG042. Diagnosis: The J2EE Server provides the Web Service Home Page with test functions. To use these test functions, the address of the J2EE server must be defined. This can be done from transaction WSADMIN to define the addresss.

I followed the instructions and chose Goto->Administrative Settings. However, I don't know what to put in for J2EE server (especially given that I don't think I chose to install J2EE server). For testing, I tried putting http://localhost:8000. However, now I get a different error - could not determine WSDL address (ICF_ERROR).

I appreciate any advise you may have.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bill,

Thank you for enlightening me.

Any idea on how I can install J2EE server on top of my existing Web AS 6.40 installation?

Regards,

Pradeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

You Start the Installation as the same how you started for mySAP(if you have j2ee CD). You will have an option J2ee Add-in on ABAP.

Give the ABAP system details where ever is required.

regards

Anand.M