cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SGEN after kernel upgrade 159

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we have updated the kernel from 75 to 159. Do we need to run SGEN after the kernel update?

from note 19466, it didn't mentioned about running SGEN.

thanks.

regards,

zl

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No SGEN needed after kernel upgrade.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

i've read that before kernel upgrade we have to use "SGEN" transaction to generate objects with available load and then after kernel upgrade is done we have to regenerate objects from last generation..

can you please explain why do we need to do this...

as per my understanding it has got to do something with ABAP consistency....

but why excatly this is done..can anyone tell..

Former Member
0 Kudos

deepa,

where did you read this?

Maybe you are mixíng things up here?

I never run SGEN before nor after kernel upgrade.

And this thread also says it is not needed.

manoj_nayak2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

You can use transaction SGEN to generate the ABAP loads of a number of programs, function groups, classes, and so on, as well as Business Server Page applications (BSP applications).

But after Kernel Upgrade no need to run SGEN. if every transaction is compiling the program then u can go for SGEN, otherwise it is not needed.

Thanks

Manoj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

There is no need to run SGEN after kernel update, Becuase SGEN compiles the loads from Database. For example when you patch your system using Support Packages or Enhancement pack. running SGEN after Support package upgrade generates the loads for Invalidated objects.

However in case of Kernel patch update, becuase kernel stays on OS level. there is no need to run the SGEN.

Thanks

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor

This is not always true.  It's true that usually after a kernel update (i.e., same kernel version but going to a higher patch level) an SGEN regeneration will not be required; most of the ABAP loads are fine.  Occasionally a kernel patch level update will require a regeneration of the ABAP loads, and a kernel upgrade (i.e., from 7.01 to 7.20) will definitely require an SGEN run, even if you don't upgrade your Basis level or apply support packs.  This is the same as if you changed machine types, i.e. moved from 32-bit to 64-bit, or from Windows to Unix, etc.  Even with the same Basis release and support pack level, you will need to regenerate your ABAP loads.

Best regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Kernel upgrade doesn't need SGEN.

If SUPPORT PACKS or SNOTE then u need SGEN

We follow this.

Regards

Bhaskar

former_member1351727
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes you need to run SGEN.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, try to execute some transactions and you will see need you to run SGEN or not Regards.