cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up MaxDB backup with TSM using BACKINT?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a MaxDB 7.6 running on AIX. We are doing a daily backup to file as of now, but optimally we would like to integrate with TSM via BACKINT. I have read a lot of documentations and postings, but somehow I just couldnu2019t put everything together. Could someone who has done this before please give me step-by-step instructions? Examples, such as Input File and Parameter File, are always appreciated.

I am new to TSM as well. How do I know whether TSM is setup for backing up MaxDB database? Or how do I set it up?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kuo-Hsiung

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Kuo-Hsiung,

As I understood, you already read the MAXDB documentation.

Could you please let us know what was left unclear for you.

Are you going to connect TSM to MaxDB by using Backint for Oracle?

First, please let us know, if you are going to connect TSM using the TSM client adint2 or using the Backint for Oracle interface.

A) If you are planning to use IBM's adint2 client for Tivoli Storage Manager, for example.

1. Please create the data backup medium with 'Backup Tool' type : TSM

You could create the medium using DBMGUI tool or dbmcli tool + dbm command medium_put. See link:

http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_6/d1/b3866c4dc211d4aa1100a0c9430730/content.htm

2. Read the information at "Notes on the Different Types of Data Carriers", link :

http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_6/43/d0c45de3f63ac3e10000000a422035/content.htm

3. Configuring the TSM Connection (SAP Library - MaxDB Library) see at

http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_6/91/24b968483411d5992500508b6b8b11/content.htm

4. Run the databackup. If it's failed, check errors in the knldiag, dbm.prt & dbm.ebp files.

Check adint2.log file.

B) If you plan a connect TSM to MaxDB by using Backint for Oracle.

To integrate Backint for Oracle, you need both Backint for MAXDB delivered with the MAXDB software package and Backint for Oracle provided by the backup tool manufacturer, please overview "Connecting to a Backint for Oracle Interface' document at

http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_6/91/24b974483411d5992500508b6b8b11/content.htm

Please run the following steps:

1. Create data Backup medium using DBMGUI with device type PIPE and backup tool BACK.

2. Follow the procedure steps from "Configuring the Backint for Oracle Connection" at

http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_6/83/f718a89e867446a29f5d822c409efa/content.htm

< Configure the Backint for Oracle interface of the backup tool: initSID.utl in 1. >

And there are examples to create the needed configuration files, you could use them with some adjustment.

If you already run those steps, please post what step is not clear for you, also please post ::

the parameter file for the MaxDB adapter program : <backintmaxdbconfig>.par

the configuration file for Backint for MaxDB: <backintmaxdbconfig>.cfg

the environment variable BSI_ENV need to be set for the Database Manager on the database computer can access 'the configuration file for Backint for MaxDB' , if the variable not set the file <Rundirectory>/bsi.env was searched by default.

3. Run the databackup. If it's failed, check errors in the knldiag, dbm.prt & dbm.ebp files.

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Natalia,

Thank you for the quick response. I think my confusion was on backint. It looks like there are two backint programs, backint for Oracle and backint for MaxDB, and they both need to be configured with their own parameter files. I thought there was only one.

Thanks again for clearing things up for me. I really appreciate it.

Kuo-Hsiung

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Kuo-Hsiung,

Thank you for the update. Please let us know if you will get further problems/questions on this issue.

Regards, Natalia Khlopina

former_member199694
Participant
0 Kudos

hi Natalia,

I am trying to implement LiveCache data/log backup using BACKINT with Tivoli-TSM. Our env is Sun Sparc -Unix env. The parameter / Conf / Utl files created from the sap help pages from your links. When running log backup from Database Manager, it gives error.

Below are config / Parameter files for your reference:

1)

sapdev> more backintmaxdbconfig.par

STAGING AREA: /tmp/STAGE 1 GB

FILES PER BACKINT CALL: 2

BACKINT: /sapdb/backint/backint

PARAMETERFILE OF BACKINT: /sapdb/backint/initLRE.utl

HISTORY FILE: /sapdb/backint/BackintHistory

INPUTFILE FOR BACKINT: /tmp/backint4Oracle.in

OUTPUTFILE FOR BACKINT: /tmp/backint4Oracle.out

ERRORFILE FOR BACKINT: /tmp/backint4Oracle.err

MAXIMAL DELAY OF BACKINT CALL: 30

sapdev:>

2)

sapdev18:> more backintoraconfig.cfg

BACKINT /sapdb/backint/backint

INPUT /tmp/backint4MAXDB.in

OUTPUT /tmp/backint4MAXDB.out

ERROROUTPUT /tmp/backint4MAXDB.err

PARAMETERFILE /sapdb/backint/backintmaxdbconfig.par

TIMEOUT_SUCCESS 600

TIMEOUT_FAILURE 300

ORIGINAL_RUNDIRECTORY /sapdb/data/wrk/LRE

sapdev18:>

3)

dbmcli -d LRE -n saparelc -u <user>,<passwd> dbm_configset -raw BSI_ENV /sapdb/backint/backintmaxdbconfig.par

4) Created /sapdb/backint/initLRE.utl - which is connecting to TSM session, when I applied password.

It fails saying,

2011-03-23 22:43:06

Reading the Backint for MaxDB configuration file '/sapdb/backint/backintmaxdbconfig.par'.

The following line of the Backint for MaxDB configuration file does not start with a proper keyword and is ignored:

STAGING AREA: /tmp/STAGE 1 GB

The following line of the Backint for MaxDB configuration file does not start with a proper keyword and is ignored:

FILES PER BACKINT CALL: 2

Found keyword 'BACKINT' with value '/sapdb/backint/backint'.

Found keyword 'PARAMETERFILE' with value 'OF'.

HISTORY FILE: /sapdb/backint/BackintHistory

Found keyword 'INPUT' with value 'FOR'.

Found keyword 'OUTPUT' with value 'FOR'.

ERRORFILE FOR BACKINT: /tmp/backint4Oracle.err

MAXIMAL DELAY OF BACKINT CALL: 30

Finished reading of the Backint for MaxDB configuration file.

Not sure, if the config file is different for UNIX env. Would appreciate any feedback on this errors.

Thanks,

RajS