cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it feasible to dynamically move instance between two SAP systems?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The scenario is there are two SAP systems PRD and TES, each contains 1 CI + n DI.

Question is if it is possible to remove one or several DI from system TES and add it to system PRD without restarting both systems? The intention is to utilize the hardware resource of system TES (test system) during peak hour.

Don't know if any customer has the similar request, any comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

On the same host, install 2 DI : one for PRD and one for TES.

Start the PRD DI and stop the TES DI

or

start the TES DI and stop the PRD DI.

You don't have to stop the whole system. Just check that the DI to be stopped is not used at that time.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hi,

>

> On the same host, install 2 DI : one for PRD and one for TES.

> Start the PRD DI and stop the TES DI

> or

> start the TES DI and stop the PRD DI.

>

> You don't have to stop the whole system. Just check that the DI to be stopped is not used at that time.

>

> Regards,

> Olivier

Hi Olivier,

Thanks a lot for the idea

However it does not apply to the scenario in the first place, as the purpose is to utilize the hardware resource of TES, so basically PRD and TES are installed on different physical host.

I wonder if two DI are on different host, can we still switch it dynamically? Appreciate if you could provide more thoughts, thanks a lot!

BR. Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

I don't understand your system landscape.

You said you have a PRD and a TES systems with 1 CI and n DI for each.

What about the physical hosts ?

Could you tell us the mapping of the differents SAP instances on the different physical hosts ?

By the way, it's not possible to dynamically change a DI from one SID to an other.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hi Tim,

>

> I don't understand your system landscape.

> You said you have a PRD and a TES systems with 1 CI and n DI for each.

>

> What about the physical hosts ?

> Could you tell us the mapping of the differents SAP instances on the different physical hosts ?

>

> By the way, it's not possible to dynamically change a DI from one SID to an other.

>

> Regards,

> Olivier

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for your follow up!

The system landscape is (each brace stands for one PHYSICAL host):

PRD: (CI+DB) (3 DI) (3 DI)

TES: (CI+DB) (DI1) (DI2)

As you've mentioned it is not possible to dynamically change DI between different SIDs. Here comes the question: is it possible to first remove e.g. DI2 from TES ( is a restart of TES necessary here?)

Then add DI2 to PRD ( suppose there must be a method so that PRD does not need to be restarted, what kind of configuration would be needed? )

Appreciate if you could let me know . Thanks!

Regards,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again,

It is possible to remove DI2 from TES with no restart of TES. You just have to make sure that DI2 is not used before stopping DI2.

It is possible to reconnect DI2 to PRD without reinstalling a new DI but it is a little tricky and is NOT supported by SAP.

The best way, as I told you in the first place is to install a DI for PRD on the host where DI2 is. There is no need to uninstall DI2 and no need to stop PRD. Then you can start the one you need.

Regards,

Olivier

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

Thanks a lot for your patience and suggestions.

Install two DIs on one host would be a better choice.

Regards,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

You have to consider some points:

- Logon groups

- Parameters related to SAP and Database

When there is not any entry related to the specific DI in CI, then you can stop the DI and make the system according to other one.

Its not harmful thing to do. It would not affect the current CI system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hi

>

> You have to consider some points:

> - Logon groups

> - Parameters related to SAP and Database

>

> When there is not any entry related to the specific DI in CI, then you can stop the DI and make the system according to other one.

>

> Its not harmful thing to do. It would not affect the current CI system.

Hi Deepak,

Thanks a lot for the answer, just to clarify one point: what do you mean by "when there is not any entry related to the specific DI". My understanding is there is always related entry between DI and CI ?

Regards,

Tim