cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM Null Value

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear MDM Experts,

how can I use a Transformation with a null value field (i.e. I need to use a special value for an empty field during the matching).

Thanks

Regards

NM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think there is not any way to do this.If u want to syndicate the special value then u can go with validation else no way.

I guess u req this fr matching purpose!!

Rgds

ankit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ankit,

Would like to tell that Validations would be used to check if there is a valid value in the particular field, but if you check the question Nicolo wants to put in some specific values in a particular field which can only be done if we use Assignments as assignments help us to assign values to a specific field and again that can be used in Matching.

Correct me if i am wrong....

Regards,

Parul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry ,

I wrote validations by mistake it was "Assignments"

Rgds

Ankit

Former Member
0 Kudos

The problem is that for business reasons I need to assign two different matching scores in case of:

-comparison between filled field and empty field;

-comparison between empty field and empty field;

without using a permanent Assignment

Do you think there's a way to do this?

Thanks so much.

Regards.

Nicolò

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think it is not possible !!

Ankit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Matching on empty fields is not possible. The work around for this could be:

1] Write an assignment (conditional) which will populate the field with "Null" value.

Now as you said you want:

-comparison between filled field and empty field;

-comparison between empty field and empty field;

In this solution it will be:

-comparison between filled field and empty("Null") field;

-comparison between empty("Null") field and empty("Nulll") field.

Hope this would be helpful!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Parul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

it took me long to understand and I think Parul is on the right track. I try to explain it in other words.

He's right in saying: Matching on empty fields is not possible. The work around for this could be:

1] Write an assignment (conditional) which will populate a value (e.g. ""NULL"") to the null fields in your list.

2] Create a transformation field in order to remove this value to get a match rate for undefined results and assign it to a rule.

3] Create a second rule to compare the unchanged fields to get the match between Null to Null and value to value

4]combine these fields in a strategy

Regards,

Jutta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

That sounds right but there is one problem there is a diff b/w NULL and blank when u will sybdicate back the field it will go with the value "NULL" and not as blank.

I think u will gt this.

Hope it may help u .

Rgds

Ankit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nicolo,

Could you please tell if you have to further syndicate these records?

If you have to syndicate in that case Ankit is correct, but for that the solution we can use is that we can further "Filter the NULL values" in Syndicator and accordingly have to do certain changes in the Target System also.

Please do specify the complete requirement!!!!!

Regards,

Parul

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nicolo,

IF you want to use a Special Value for an empty field follow the following steps:

1. Under Matching mode go to Transformation Tab.

2. Create a Transformation and select the field name for which you want to use a specific value under the field option on the right hand side pane.

3. Under the Substitutions Pane you will be getting two options - From and To, let the From option be blank and under the To option put the value that you want to use as the string to be replaced is written in the From cell and the replacement string is written in the To cell.

4. Depends on your scenario you can check the Token check box.

Token substitution uses Space as a delimiter, which

means the token for substitution should be surrounded by blanks.

Hope this would be helpful!!!!!!

Regards,

Parul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Parul,

I totally agree with your approach but MDM Data Manager, in my case, doesn't recognize the empy field in the FROM cell during the transformation.

Could you give me more particulars?

Thanks

Regards.

Nicolò

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nicolo,

I have just checked it and it seems that it is not possible to enter an empty value in the FROM field.

Also I believe that there should not be any need to maintain static values in MDM , if you are trying to have a field for which you want to maintain a value in that case the best option that you can follow is use Assignment.

You can define an assignment for the particular field for which you want to maintain and a value so that every time a record is created in MDM that field would be filled up with the same value that you are assigning in Assignment.

Hope this would be helpful!!!!!!!

Regards,

Parul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

By writing assignments ,the value of the field will be permanently changed and will be syndicated with the value which u have assigned.

Rgds

Ankit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

U can set the static value for the empty fields in MDM data manager.

Just try.

Rgds

Ankit