cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installing 2 oracle instances on one host

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am running ecc6 system on oracle 10.2 and AIX as os.

I would like to install a second ecc6 instance (1 Oracle installation - 2 instances).

I already read notes 98252,350251,21960.

except these notes are there any prerequsites/installation instructions?

Or should i install the second instance the same way as i installed the first? (according to the installation guide)

i guess i need to add additional file systems to the new SID

How does the sap installation know that this is a second instance and that an oracle DB installation is not required?

Regards,

Moshe

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

antonio_voce
Contributor
0 Kudos

because there are different enviroment variables depending on the sap users ( sidadm and sapserviceSID ).

Former Member
0 Kudos

should i use differnet oracle_home?

or share it?

antonio_voce
Contributor
0 Kudos

If the version of the oracle of the two system is the same you will use the same oracle home.

So SAP know that you have already installed oracle.

Thake note that if you use the same oracle home ( and you can ) when you have to upgrade the db you must upg the 2 instances both.

Edited by: Antonio Voce on Jul 21, 2008 5:12 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello Antonio,

I understand it - regarding the same oracle_home.

does it min that the 2 instances will use the same oracle binaries?

How do i install the second oracle instance with the same oracle_home? - during the installation the sapinst will recognize that the oracle is already installed ?

will it give me the option to choose the already configured oracle_home?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Moshe,

you might want to read about Multiple Components in One Database (MCOD),

e.g. at service.sap.com/mcod

And by the way, sapinst will ask you whether to create a new Oracle database, or use an existing one.

hope this helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

one more question - di i need to create new file systems for the new sap instance - /oracle/newsid/data1-5,

/oracle/newsid/mirrorlog etc?

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are going to install the new SAP instance in the same Oracle database, then you will not have to create new filesystems. However you will need more space in the existing sapdata filesystems.

regards

PS: But you will need new filesystems for the SAP instance.

Edited by: Joe Bo. on Jul 22, 2008 9:56 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Regarding the Oracle - if i use one oracle_home for 2 instances (it basically means shared - /oracle/product for both instances?)- what about the orainventory - will the exisiting orainventory be used for the second instance installation or will a new one be created?

Former Member
0 Kudos

thats what i meant in my question - do i need to create new filesystems only for the new sid?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Don't mix up the terms Oracle instance and SAP instance here.

If you are going to create two Oracle instances, then it is recommended not to share Oracle home, Oracle software, Oracle inventory, Oracle datafiles and the like, but do a complete new install.

On the other hand, you may install several SAP systems with several SAP instances in one Oracle instance. This is called MCOD. As there is only one Oracle instance, nothing has to be shared, regarding Oracle.

But there are two complete SAP systems, each of them with an /usr/sap/<SID> of its own, and so on. The name of the filesystems should give you an idea if they are for Oracle or for SAP.

Not sure how good I am in explaining, so let me suggest you read some more documentation.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello Joe,

I don't want to install MCOD,

i want to install 2 sap systems - each system on a separate oracle instance

both oracle instances will share a single oracle_home - hope i am understood untill here

now, i understand the disadvantage - if i need to to do an oracle version upgrade or an opatch - i will need to stop both oracle instances (and as a result both sap systems).

what i want to know is - do i need to share also the orainventory or does each oracle instance requires a different orainventory (again - in a matter of 2 oracle instances sharing 1 oracle_home)

Regards,

Moshe

antonio_voce
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes ,

you don't have to install a MCOD system, MCOD is another things.

You can share the oracle home, I have installed 4 sap instance on the same oracle home and it works fine.

When you install sap it ask for oracle home, you must create the file system where resides new sapdata.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Antonio,

Can you guide me what were the steps you did before adding additional sap instance for the shared oracle_home

and do i need to share also the orainventory ?

regards,

Moshe

antonio_voce
Contributor
0 Kudos

follow the instruction given in oss note , and the related notes contained in this one , depending your platform.

Note 21960 - Several instances/systems on one UNIX computer

P.s. I see that you already read this note , but here there are all tricks for you.

Edited by: Antonio Voce on Jul 22, 2008 11:55 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would like to thank everyone for the explanations

one more confusing thing

according to Oracle - oracle_home should point to one level below oracle_base

According to sap instguides - oracle_home is Home directory for Oracle instance and is set during installation to /oracle/<DBSID>/<102_32 or 102_64>.

on the systems i installed the oracle_home is exactly as said in the installation guide - /oracle/<DBSID>/<102_64>.

on other system which was installed by others i can see that oracle_home points to /oracle/product - one level below oracle_base which is according to oracle.

1.what should be oracle_home

2.In my case if i'm going to install another sap system on a new instance and i want to share the oracle_home what should be the correct oracle_home?

Regards,

Moshe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to understand something - if i install sap on additional instance (same oracle_home) and different filesystems - will new tablespaces be created for the new oracle instance ?

antonio_voce
Contributor
0 Kudos

yes sure !!!

The sap data file are different!!! Tablespace are contained into sapdata.

Antonio.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When the db installation phase arrives, the oui asks me to point to the oracle_home - do i need to point an existing ;oracle_home?

if so - what is the next step - will the oui overwrite the exisiting oracle installation (according to the existing oracle_home?) or will it only install additional instance and?

another question - in the first oracle home - oracle version 10.2.0.1 was installed and later upgraded to 10.2.0.2-> now i'm using the same installation cds like the first installation (10.2.0.1)

if i point to the exisiting oracle_home - will it let me install additional instance although the oracle version in the cd's is lower then the one installed in the oracle_home (10.2.0.2)?

Regards,

Moshe

antonio_voce
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

As Always Make a backup of existing instance before do all the operations !!!!!

Question

When the db installation phase arrives, the oui asks me to point to the oracle_home - do i need to point an existing ;oracle_home?

YES

QUESTION

f so - what is the next step - will the oui overwrite the exisiting oracle installation (according to the existing oracle_home?) or will it only install additional instance and?

It will install only the second instance , because database software is already installed.

QUESTION

another question - in the first oracle home - oracle version 10.2.0.1 was installed and later upgraded to 10.2.0.2-> now i'm using the same installation cds like the first installation (10.2.0.1)

if i point to the exisiting oracle_home - will it let me install additional instance although the oracle version in the cd's is lower then the one installed in the oracle_home (10.2.0.2)?

Yes.

Hi hope this help you.

Regards Antonio.

Former Member
0 Kudos

one more question regarding orainventory,

according to note 350251 in order to avoid all kind of errors during installtion , the oraInst.loc (which is in my case located on /etc and in /oracle/product which is the oracle_home dir) should be edited.

according to the note the inventory_loc=/oracle/sid/oraInventory, and if additional instance is added the inventory_loc should be changed to /oracle/new_sid/oraInventory.correct me if i'm mistaken - this note is talking about adding additional instance with new oracle_home.

in my situation the inventory_loc=/oracle/oraInventory - no sid in between.

the oraInventory dir is located in /oracle/product which is the oracle_home - how should i edit the oraInst.loc file for the new added instance , or maybe this note is not relevant in case of sharing oracle_home?

Regards,

Moshe