Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sizing the Redologs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We are going for database migration from informix to oracle 9i

Right now, I want to know how to go about in sizing the Redologs, like what should be the size of redologs? how many redolog groups should I configure? Also, what should be the optimal size of Redologs to start with. The database size is right now around 1Tb and its an HR server on R3 4.6B on SunOS. Also, would like to know about the storage layout whether to go or File system or RAW devices.

Please suggest ASAP

Thank you,

Salman Qayyum

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Salman,

in contrast to Stefan's reply I would recommend more redo switches per hour. I would try to achieve six to twelve switches per hour, this means every five to ten minutes. Normally the amount of logs written during a day is not constant. Therefore you should check how many logs your system produce during high workload (batch or dialog).

On average 15-20 minutes seems to be ok. You should also check how long your checkpoints are. Normally they should not be much longer than one or two minutes. As a first guess I would assume that Oracle produce the same amount of logs as Informix.

The number of groups is from my point of view dependent of your file system layout. If you have seperate disks for redologs (out of performance reasons) then it makes no sense to save the disk space, build as many groups as possible. There is absolutely no benefit keeping free space on the log volumes. The same is true if you run on a SAN box, you probably get much more than 400 MB in a single volume (in our environment 8GB is the smallest allocation unit).

The answer to you third question is complicated as Stefan already mentioned. If you ask performance enthusiasts, you'll end up in using raw devices. You save some CPU cycles because you run less layers from application to disk, but the question is: Is it worth it? My answer would be the same as Stefan's. I would go for cooked files. I think the CPUs today are fast enough to use cooked files instead of raw devices.

Kind regards

Ralph

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Salman,

ok let's start.

> I want to know how to go about in sizing the Redologs, like what should be the size of redologs?

I always suggest one logswitch every 15-20 minutes is a good value.

So start with 100 MB for each redologfile and take a look at the logswitches

> how many redolog groups should I configure?

Keep the SAP standard (4 redolog groups) - it is sufficient.

> Also, would like to know about the storage layout whether to go or File system or RAW devices.

That is a question of principle - I always use filesystems.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Stefan & Ralph,

This very much answers my first two questions. About the third one (RAW devices), I think I need to do some more research.

Thank You,

Salman Qayyum