cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample size not getting generated

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am procuring material in Ton and my lot is getting generated in Tons. But my sample size is 250 gms ie .25kg. In inpn plan I maintained .25 kg as sample base qty and sample UOM. But in inspn lot screen of QA32, sample size is not getting generated. It is showing 0 Ton only.

In material master I maintained conversion factor already. Can any one suggest whats is the reason for sample not getting generated.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Inspectoin lot qtys are only done in the Base UOM of measure. Sampling in grams is not supported when your BUOM is tons.

For this type of material, I would suggest a BUOM of KG. Orders can still be placed in tons.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Craig,

But as client requirement, they need to maintain in TO only.

I mean I may not have an option to change Base Unit rom TO to KG.

So can we conclude sample in Inspn Lot screen will be shown only in TO?

When I procure 2 TO, my sample size is .25 kg.

I maintained inspn plan in sample base unit and sample qty in KG and .25.

But sample size is showing 0 TO. In plan I cant enter .00025 TO as sample base unit and sample qty, coz sample qty max charecteristic is 4 only.

My concern is in Sample Tab in Inspection Lot, its showing 0 TO after calculation. Why it is not showing atleast .00025 TO there when I manintained .25 kg as base unit of sample in QPLAN?

Did I made any mistake, is it so its not calculating sample size and updating in Sample Tab.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No Viny I think you haven't make any mistake there.

Check the conversion factor for TO to Kg. have you maintained any further then the STD.

There may be problem with the rounding value also, check the same in CUNI, for the field "Decimal pl. rounding" for the both UOMs Kg and TO(Tonne).

Regards,

Shyamal

Former Member
0 Kudos

I found the reason why in Inspection Lot screen, for sample tab its showing 0 TO as my sample size is .00025 TO

procured 2 TO,

Sample size- .25 KG-- in inspn plan charecteristic level

But in Inspn lot screen only base UOM will come ie TO

System converted my sample size to .00025 TO, but for this field in QALS table decimal point is restricted to 3 decimals. and this conversion is coming with 5 decimal point.

I think thats the reason sample size is showing as 0 TO.

I think if I want to display my sample size in Inspn Tab field I have to modify decimal field. Is there any other option than this.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Viny,

Change the decimal notation properties, the same I have also suggested but the place may wrong (I was indication it for CUNI and you are talking about QALS).

GO ahead, Best Of Luck!!!

Regards,

Shyamal

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes... this is what I meant when I said the system only allows BUOM to be used in the inspection lot. And you are exactly right, you see zero because of the rounding factors.

Can I ask why this type of sampling is actually needed? I focus on chemical companies and we rarely worry about the sample qty calculation and in fact usually wind up just defaulting in a 1 for the vast majority of materials. Now for you that would be 1 ton! But what does it matter? How are you using the data? Is someone really using qty to actually do something? For large quantities like a 2 ton shipment, you can take a 250 grams from it and you wouldn't even know it on the scales used to measure tonage You probably lose that much in the transfer process!.

Now if your referring to gold or platimum shipments that would be different. But you would never ever use ton as a BUOM for that!!!

If your using physical samples and storing retains via SAP then you might have more of a problem.

To be honest, I don't think I have ever seen materials with a BUOM of a ton. And I once worked for the largest soda ash manufacturer in the world where we sent out 3&4 trains a week with 70-150 railcars each, all loaded with nothing but soda ash for export. That was literely 100's of tons a day. But our BUOM was KG. And every compartment of each rail car was sampled and inspected.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thats right craig,

I am not going to modify decimal field in QALS table. If for reference purpose they can see sample qty from valuation tab in QA32 screen at time of result recording.

Craig,

I got a question regarding sampling inspection. Every 2 Hrs (this is not fixed, may vary) my client do sampling inspection as per AQL, whats the best way to map it. Right now am thinking to put this as an operation in inprocess inspection.

Please suggest a way out.

I am concerned about optional inspn types or physical sampling or any vague idea which i can look into it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Viny,

A thread regarding inspection lot generation at every 2 hr, is answered by Craig himself. So kindly go through it, It may help you.[Thread|;

Regards,

Shyamal

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please review the thread mentioned above by Shyamal. Thanks for that link Shyamal.

Inspection points in in-proces 03 would probably be a good thing to look at first for that.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Viny Hi Craig,

I have pasted the thread for Viny's review. So that he can go through the thread, try the solution and revert with any query or confusion if there any. Meanwhile Craig get log-in here and Viny's problem can get resolved ASAP.

Regards,

Shyamal.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check in Inspection plan (QP02) General data screen from and to lot size UOM.

Regards,

Babu.S

Former Member
0 Kudos

there also I assigned kg and checked, still sample is showing 0 TO.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Viny,

Have assigned the inspection plan to the lot, click on the "Sampl" button to calculate the samples.

What is the status of your inspection lot?

What is the conversion factor you have maintained in MM?

Regards,

Shyamal