cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-axis labels on iChart

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a query that returns a count and a day. I am plotting the count on the y-axis and want to show the day on the x-axis. I want the label for the day to appear every 7 days or so so the labels do not overlap.

I have tried every combination of ticks, labels per tick, and column mappings and can't seem to accomplish this.

I get the tick marks every 7 days but, I get every label for every day all bunched up at the bottom of the x-axis.

I know this is an junior level question but I am really stuck.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

My query is:

Select cnt, day

from table

The data returned is a count of items for each of the last 30 days so I am plotting 30 data points.

I want the day (mm/dd/yy) to appear as the label under each bar. I do not want every day - only every 3rd day. Thus:

7/1/08 7/4/08 7/7/08 ...

I do not want a value from 1-30 appearing under the bars. I want the day. I have tried what you suggested and I either lose the days or they appear all jumbled.

Thanks for you patience.

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My assumption is that you are using xMII 12.0. My testing is on 12.0.4, so if you don't get similar results, please let me know what service release (or build number) you are using.

This is going to be a bit odd and I am not sure why it works this way, but here you go:

Create a new iChart, change the type to custom.

Map your data field to Value column in Data Mapping

Go to Data Series Details and change the type to bar for data series 1

Go to X-Axis and add your date field to X-Axis Label Columns, set Date format to mm/dd/yy, leave Time format blank, make sure label depth is 1, uncheck Show Labels and Show 3-D Tick Marks, check Show Tick Marks, set Major Ticks to 10, Minor Ticks to 3, and Ticks per Label to 3.

Save and run.

Good luck,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

That worked but, I don't know why.

By the way I have 11.5

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't know why either, but I have seen other occasions where a custom chart allows different behavior than the standard charts even though all other settings are unchanged.

There may be other combinations of settings to get you what you want especially in the data mapping section. With all the display objects, there are so many interactions of settings, that you will need to do lots of testing to find the combination that meets your requirements.

Good luck,

Mike

Edited by: Michael Appleby on Jul 21, 2008 4:30 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

If the problem is only "every label for every day all bunched up at the bottom of the x-axis"

I think you can simply set the Label Depth in X-Axis tab.

And if there is too many rows in results, maybe you should limit the row count in query properties.

Best Regards

Kavin

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

What type of display template are you using (if Chart, what type, if SPCChart, what type)? And what version of xMII are you using? How many datapoints are you trying to plot? It will be easier to help you with more information.

Thanks,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In your Display Template goto DataMapping tab.In Value Columns map count and in Description Columns map days.Dont map anything in Label Column.In X-axis tab increase the label depth.

In Pen Details tab select Global Auto Scale and Zero Based scale.Dont select Gloabl Server Scale.

Hope this will solve your problem.

Thanks,

Manisha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,John

i am still not quite understand ur ideas, maybe u can just give some more details about ur query.

Try this:

do not tick the "Show Lables" check box in the x-axis panel. and the one more thing, u can also set the "Lable depth" to 3, it is in that panel too.

have a nice day!