cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passing Parameters Between Applications

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a customer who has some previously developed Web Dynpro applications from another vendor. One of these screens is setup to url parameters. My goal was to load this screen from my screen,providing it with the required url parameter....

I was thinking that this would be accomplished through some combination of WDURLGenerator and WDNavigation. Using WDURLGenerator to obtain the url of the other web dynpro application and then WDPortalNavigation to load it, passing the required parameters using the navigateAbsolute method, passing the URL from WDURLGenerator as the url parameter the name=value pair as the businessParameters parameter.

The problem is I have not been successful resolving a URL that works with WDPortalNavigation with the WDURLGenerator. I don't have any access to the code used to generate the old screen, so I can't just import it as a DC in my project or anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is the "screen" that you want to load from the other application the default view of that WD application? If yes then there is another way to load that without using portal navigation. If not then do you know the PCD path of the ivew that hosts this application view that you want to show?

Regards,

Satyajit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes the view I am trying to navigate to IS the default initial view for that application.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to expand...the screen in the other application that I want to call (with parameters) is the default (intial) view. I do not know the PCD path, that is where I run into problems. I know that the url to the application on my dev system, but of course this will change in the QAS and PRD systems. I was hoping to be able to resolve that url, that's what I can't figure out.

The WDPortalNavigation class has the navigateAbsolute method, but I don't know how to resolve the path (the first parameter required) to this other WD Application.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. This other method mentioned above would be fine.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can fetch the URL of the application that you want to navigate to dynamically (as long as the namespace and the application name doesn't change) using:

String appURL = WDURLGenerator.getWorkloadBalancedApplicationURL("<package path/component name>", "<application name>");

Now what you can do is create an URL iview in the portal & set the source URL to some dummy string. In the WD application after you have fetched the URL of the other application (appURL in the code above), you can use the portal APIs to dynamically modify the source URL of the URL iview to this application URL. After that you can simply portal navigate to this URL iview. You can also append query string parameters to this.

I know it is kind of a complex solution to a seemingly simple problem, but it's the best I could think of. Maybe you will be just better off trying to create a new WD iview pointing to the other application (because you know the application name) and then navigate to this using portal navigation. For passing parameters you can use the business parameters construct of portal navigation.

Regards,

Satyajit.

Answers (0)