cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The required build tools for each track, should it be imported throughout?

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you create a new track in the NWDI system, the reguired build tools (sap-jee, sap_buildt, and sap_jtechs) are imported into the track so that a developer can compile their changes to a DC.

Now, upon the initial import to the Development tab of those required build tools, it then moves onto the Consolidation tab to be waiting for import. And if we import them into the Consolidation tab, it moves to assembly and so forth throughout Test, Approvel, and Production.

So the question is, is it necessary to perform the import throughtout? Or do we delete them from the Consolidation Tab, so that there is no further need to import them?

Whats is the best practice?

Thanks,

Alan

I always award full points if they are correct answers!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alan,

if you have a four system landscape in your environment, then use the consolidation and import the SCs into the cons. But if you just have 3(Dev, QA, Prod), then you can ignore the consolidation step.

Hope this helps.

-MLS

Former Member
0 Kudos

But if you import those files into the Cons Tab, it moves throughout the landscape, to Assembly, Test, Approvel, and Prod. So then the question would be, is there a harm? Since importing them to the Cons Tab, doesn't actually import to the runtime system associated with the Cons Tab. Though I'm not sure, whats the point of doing the import then?

What is anyone else doing?

Former Member
0 Kudos

In our environment, importing those files into the Cons Tab, actually does not go to the runtime system. Only importing a transport that has been created after a developer activites an activity does it generate a separate request, and that request that now sits in the Cons tab waiting to be imported, does it actually gets deployed to the run time system.

So, in short, if we try and import just the 3 required files (sap-jee, sap_jtechs, and sap_buildt) it does NOT deploy to the runtime system....but all other requests does.

So, then, is it something that our system is not doing correctly? In my opinion, I don't see what is the purpose of importing those files over and over for each track, and it would only make sense that the imports doesn't actually deploy to the runtime system...and therefore can be removed from the Cons Tab.

What do you think?

snehal_kendre
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Alan,

Required Build tools have to be imported throughtout the track.

i.e from development to production. And you cannot slip one step.

Dont confuse between runtime system and compartments.

whatever dependencies we import goes into compartments.(dev., cons.,test., production)

At every compartment these dependencies are required to build all the custom made DCs. And if build is successfull then and then only activities are moved to next compartment.

So it is necessury to import them throughtout. Or your activities will not move upto the production.

you can change the no of runtime system. but no. of compartments are fixed and it is step by step process of moving activities from dev to production, throught consolidation and test.

e.g.

If build failed @ dev, then there will be no activities at consolidation-> that means nothing in test and production.

if build is ok @ dev, but failed @cons. because of build tools are not imported, then -> nothing in test and production.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Snehal,

Do you have documentation that this is the process? Or can you provide a link to where SAP mentions this process?

Thanks,

I've awarded a few points for now, only when I can verify that this is the correct answer, can I award full points.

snehal_kendre
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alan,

This is the logic behind the process. It is not directly written anywhere.

Please check following links. you need to understand NWDI thorough like what is CBS and what is CMS. and what is there interaction

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/44/312b1a8bea3ec8e10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/67/624b1ee39fcf44a32e2da573d340f6/frameset.htm

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/163a7cbf-0501-0010-8eb1-b25ad84a...

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alan,

Required SC's are only imported into the compartments, they are never deployed to a runtime system, so it's safe to transport them through your entire track. You will notice that the import into Test and Production is really quick, since that actually doesn't do anything but update the runtime system state that NWDI maintains.

You MUST import the required SC's into the consolidation stage - even if you do not have a runtime system assigned to it, since otherwise your own DC's will not build in this stage. The result of this will be that you cannot assemble your SC's, since the assembly stage assembles the build results of the consolidation stage.

Kind regards,

Pascal

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not sure if I understood your question but I think that if you do the import to Cons, it will be imported to the consolidation runtime system. Then when you are ready for the transport, you can assemble it and then move it up to test and production. I dont see any harm in this, this is how it should work.