cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More than one Database Server on one host

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo,

We want to implement two systems on one host with MaxDb as database. I know it is possible to run 2 DB-Instances on one host, is it possible to upgrade or patch one instance without inflicting the other one with this changes?

For example:

I have the development and test system on one host with two database instances running. is it possible to only upgrade the Database Instance of the Development System without upgrading the test instance.

I know it is possible in Oracle but is this also possible for MaxDB?

I hope you can give me an answer.

best regards,

Patrick Volny

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Patrick,

1)

"is it possible to upgrade or patch one instance without inflicting the other one with this changes?"

-> Yes, you could run the two database instances of the different versions on one server.

You have on the server the Path for saving programs and libraries shared by database

instances and database applications (system default is /sapdb/programs)

Also the Path for saving the server software that is dependent on the database version.

The specified path must be unique. Multiple directories containing different versions can exist simultaneously (system default is /sapdb/<SID>/db)

2)

"is it possible to only upgrade the Database Instance of the Development System

without upgrading the test instance."

Please check if database instances are not using the same database kernel installation path. It's not recommended, but some database users created the two instances using the same Installation path. And saw one case with the link from /sapdb/sid1/db -> /sapdb/sid2/db, It 's NOT recommend too.

If the database dependent installation path is unique for each database instance => You could upgrade the Database Instance of the Development System without upgrading the test instance.

Please update with the output of the following commands from the database server::

sdbregview -l

dbmcli inst_enum

dbmcli db_enum

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo,

Thx for the quick answer!

If I understand you correctly, I am able to patch each Instance seperatly but because the instances share the same kernel to upgrade an Database I have to upgrade all instances?

I also read that to patch an instance you have to stop an x server service. But this service is necessary for the communication between applications and the database. so if i patch an instance the second one can't work properly?

And concerning the output you wanted, i can't deliver this because I am currently implementing a test enviroment and I haven't finished yet.

Thx for your help

Patrick Volny

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Patrick,

1) "If I understand you correctly, I am able to patch each Instance separately but because the instances share the same kernel to upgrade an Database I have to upgrade all instances?"

Answer: You can update the database instance separately.

As the independent database software is shared between database instances, located in /sapdb/programs by default installation and it's downward compatible

==>

you could upgrade only one database instance & run the another database instance with the higher version of the independent database software.

Warning: Please follow the recommended structure of the database software installation & install the dependent on the version of the database system software once for each database instance.

By default it's installed in /sapdb/<SID>/db

Example : On the local server ::

dbmcli db_enum

OK

SC1#C:\sapdb\sc1\db #7.6.04.11#fast#running

SC1#C:\sapdb\sc1\db #7.6.04.11#slow#offline

LVC750#c:\sapdb\lvc750\db #7.6.00.21#fast#offline

LVC750#c:\sapdb\lvc750\db #7.6.00.21#slow#offline

xinstinfo SC1

IndepData : C:\sapdb\data

IndepPrograms : C:\sapdb\programs

InstallationPath : C:\sapdb\sc1\db

Kernelversion : KERNEL 7.6.04 BUILD 011-123-181-372

Rundirectory : c:\sapdb\data\wrk\SC1

xinstinfo LVC750

IndepData : C:\sapdb\data

IndepPrograms : C:\sapdb\programs

InstallationPath : c:\sapdb\lvc750\db

Kernelversion : KERNEL 7.6.00 BUILD 021-123-117-795

Rundirectory : c:\sapdb\data\wrk\LVC750

In my case, I have installed two database instances of the versions 7.6.00 BUILD 021 and 7.6.04 BUILD 011 on one server,

Independent database software is installed in C:\sapdb\programs and each database instance has own InstallationPath.

And you could run also 'sdbregview -l' to get the short list of all installed database packages, pay attention to the "Database Kernel" package

for the dependent database software installation path/version.

2) "I also read that to patch an instance you have to stop an x server service. But this service is necessary for the communication between applications and the database. so if i patch an instance the second one can't work properly?"

The X Server is needed for the client to establish the connection to a database instance located on a remote computer. As you know the X Server is the communication server for the database system. The X Server listens out for connection requests from clients such as database applications and database tools.

As I already wrote you, that the independent database software is downward compatible & you should not have the problems with the communication to the Test database on the TEST system.

I case you would like to know more details about the database version software, if there are any known problems, please update with additional information::

What are the current versions of the DEV and Test databases?

Did you install the application servers on the database server or not?

To what version of the database are you going to update the DEV database instance?

What is the version/SP of the SAP basis on the TEST system?

What is the version/patch of the SAP kernel on the TEST system?

3) The installation distinguishes between different software directories, as you already know.

For example, the following directories:

- <independent_program_path>

SAP Standard:/sapdb/programs

Run the command 'dbmcli -s dbm_getpath IndepProgPath' or 'xinstinfo' to get the current value on your system.

!!!! This directory contains instance- or version-independent software that works downwardly-compatible.

- <independent_data_path>

SAP Standard:/sapdb/data

Run the command 'dbmcli -s dbm_getpath IndepDataPath' or 'xinstinfo' to get the current value on your system.

- <independent_data_path>/config

SAP Standard:/sapdb/data/config

- <InstallationPath>

SAP standard: /sapdb/<SID>/db

- <run_directory>

SAP standard: /sapdb/data/wrk/SID

If you are SAP customer,

please see the SAP notes::

1020175 FAQ: MaxDB installation, upgrade or applying a patch

820824 FAQ: MaxDB / SAP liveCache technology

767598 Available documentation

&& SAP documentation link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/23/d1a03cc24efd1de10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo!

Thx a lot you are very helpful!

As I mentioned I haven't implementent a SAP System with SAPDB. We are planning to do so and we have a certain System Landscape in mind for that I have to find out if it is possible.

I have one last question then I am totally satisfied: Is the Database independent part ( sapdb/programms ) downward compatible over major and minor releases?

e.g.: independent: 7.7, dependent: 8.0? ord independent 8.0, dependent instance: 7.6?

Once again thx a lot, you are very helpful.

best wishes

Patrick Volny

Melanie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Patrick,

yes, the independent software is downward compatible even if different major releases are used.

The independent software is always installed with the highest software version installed on the server.

So if you install a database of version 7.5 and another one of version 7.6. The independent software

is installed with version 7.6. If you then update the database of version 7.5. to 7.7 the independent

software will be updated to version 7.7.

HTH,

Melanie

Answers (0)