cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM Workflow

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SAP Gurus,

I worked on R/3 workflow. I am supposed to work on MDM Workflow. How it is different ?. Pl.share your views.

Thanks & Best Regds,

U.S.Raju

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

AndreasSeifried
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Jörg,

the Java Doc of the workflow package in MDM4J was omitted by accident during the packaging. It will be included in the next Patch.

Meanwhile I try to provide it to the MDM community by another way.

Regards

Andreas

former_member619464
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raju,

I hope u ll get a clear idea of MDM on referring to the following document.

http://help.sap.com/bp_biv235/bi_en/documentation/Multi-dimensional_modeling_EN.doc

Hope it helps....let me know

Regards,

R.Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello:

New features of SAP NetWeaver MDM 5.5 SP03 Patch 1 include:

Extended multilingual capabilities for iViews

Extended maintenance features for configuring variants (Matrix product)

Interaction with workflows via MDM Java API (MDM4J)

Improved flexibility in Workflow modeling (e.g., Notify after Start, Approval after Validation, Branch after Start)

Additional UI language (Chinese)

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi MDM Workflow users,

SAP NetWeaver MDM 5.5 SP03 Patch 1 features improved flexibility in Workflow modeling (e.g., <i>Notify</i> after <i>Start</i>, <i>Approval</i> after <i>Validation</i>, <i>Branch</i> after <i>Start</i>).

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

To add to the enhancements listed by Markus, in Patch 1, Workflow can be accessed by MDM Java API.

Regards,

Rajani Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there any documentation on the new classes? I can only see the functions and the required argument types, but not the function of every argument (a javadoc-html like for the other classes would be helpful, and no, this does not come with the new mdm4j.jar, afaik).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jorg,

While the helper classes from the a2i.workflow package aren't in the Javadoc, the functionality to create a workflow job, add records to the job and then launch it are available through methods of the CatalogData class, not classes from the a2i.workflow package.

Here's a little code snippet.

//get record ids to be part of workflow
//here i take the first record in the repository
int[] recordIDs = {1}; 

CatalogData c = new CatalogData();

try {

//here i'm retrieving the first workflow in 
  //the workflow table
  int wfRid = c.GetWorkflowByID(1).GetID();

//create workflow job
  int wfJobID = c.CreateWorkflowJob(wfRid, recordIDs);

//launch the workflow
  c.LaunchWorkflowJob(wfJobID);
} catch (StringException e) {
  e.printStackTrace();
}

Hope this helps,

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, Richard, that helps. I wouldn't have suspected the Workflow functionality in the Catalog Data class when there is a "workflow" package around.

Thank you!

former_member192347
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

I wrote similar java code to launch MDM workflow by API.

After the LaunchWorkflowJob() method is called, MDM server, Console and Data Manager gets hang( can not refresh screen). Can not see what's happing in Data manager. Then need to bounce the MDM server to get back access to MDM console/Data manager.

I have setup workflow to be triggered "Manually". Is there any other configuration need to be done? like Max Time to Launch?

Or is it a Bug in MDM SP04.

Here is my code. Is there any problem with the code?

int recId[]=;

try{

WorkflowProperties[] wfp = catalog.GetWorkflows("Vendors");

for(int i=0; i< wfp.length; i++){

System.out.println("Active " + wfp<i>.IsActive() + " |ID " + wfp<i>.GetID() + " | Name " + wfp<i>.GetName() + " | Desc " + wfp<i>.GetDescription());

int wfjId = catalog.CreateWorkflowJob(wfp<i>.GetID(), recId);

catalog.LaunchWorkflowJob(wfjId);

}

}

catch(StringException se){

se.printStackTrace();

}

Thanks,

Abhay

Former Member
0 Kudos

The MDM 5.5 SP04 Patch1 Workflow (WF) Java APIs were implemented in the MDM UWL Connector. Details are available <a href="/people/community.user/blog/2006/10/20/integrating-universal-worklist-in-sap-master-data-management">here</a>.

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

For information about the MDM workflow, please see the MDM Data Manager reference guide at https://service.sap.com/instguidesnw04 -> Operations -> SAP MDM. (See especially the section from page 194 - 229.)

Regards,

Markus

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Former Member
0 Kudos

My one point lesson on MDM Workflow

MDM Workflow allows you to ensure people doing maintenance tasks using the SAP MDM Data Manager to be "sequentially" informed and to inform others that they completed their tasks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are referring to MDM 5.5, its workflow is configured using Microsoft Visio. As of now, it is still evolving.

Regards,

Rajani