cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inspection lot number ranges skipping

Former Member
0 Kudos

My inspection lot number ranges are skipping, those are std number ranges like 01 origin, 04 origin etc, what could be the reason for that.

Inspn lots are getting generated and I took UD also. But certain numbers in the range got skipped.

Eg:- Incoming inspn lot 010000000041 then it comes 010000000045

Lot numbers 01/42, 01/43, 01/44 does not exist in sytem.

Please suggest a way out

Thanks

Vineeth

Edited by: vineeth varghese on Jul 18, 2008 11:31 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hello Viny,

as described in note [989067|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/989067] the sequential numbering of inspection lots cannot be guarenteed.

i.e. if in the MIGO you do a check for the material movement then a number in the sequence of inspection lot numbers is lost.

Another reason for this behaviour is if in the production order you delete the inspection lot then the inspection lot data in QALS is also deleted, accordingly the inspection lot number is lost.

I hope that this information helps you understand the described behaviour.

Regards,

Isabelle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check if you are not using buffering for table NRIV, check with basis team to investigate.

sanjay

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As a follow-up to Sanjay to explain his question..

When users log on they are assigned onto a particular application server. This can be displayed in the very bottom left of the SAP screen. The server can change every time you log on, it is determined by SAP's load balancing process. BASIS can set up users so that they are always assinged to the same server for certain reasons. (Like HR personnel usually have their own HR server). The vast majority of SAP systems have more then one application server.. some have hundreds. Each servere typically handles about 250 users I've been told. The application servers handles transactions to the DB servers.

To make things run faster, many objects in SAP that are assigned to number ranges are allocated a set group of numbers to each application server. As Sanjay indicated, the number of numbers assigned is determined by the BASIS group.

So Application server A might be assigned 5 inspection lot numbers to use, server B another 5. Server C another 5. The next number used will be determined by the next number in the applications buffer that the user is logged onto. Once the numbers are provided to the application servers, SAP considers these numbers as 'used'. If a a server crashes, any unused number in its buffer are lost. When it starts up again, it is assigned 5 new numbers.

So... for inspection lot numbers, and usually quality notifications, you may often see skips in numbers.

This should not be a problem. This is NOT an ISO or FDA issue. Don't let any auditor tell you different.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sanjay, in NRIV table it is asking for object id. whats exactly is this object id.

Craig, is there any way out to prevent this skipping.

Thanks

Edited by: vineeth varghese on Jul 19, 2008 7:55 AM

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes.. investigate what Sanjay is saying.

You need to turn off the buffering. But this can affect performance.

Again, I don't feel there is any reason this should be an issue. Can you explain why the client is concerned about this?

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anyone tell me what is the number range object for inspection lots.

So that I can check my buffering status.

Edited by: viny on Jul 21, 2008 7:46 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As std it is not recommonded to ditub the buffer or no ranges.

It is std functionlities of the SAP. The number ranges which are presentlly in buffer may get sometimes in future transcations too.

Ramesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Object for Inspection lot is "QLOSE".

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for updating the posting with the object Id now that you found it. I wouldn't have known that as I've never modified that value.

Good luck!

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Craig,

But expert suggestion says, not to switch off buffer thru SNRO as it may affect fuctionality as you said early in this discussion.

But I believe, this is to be relooked by SAP as number range skipping is not good (My case its skipping 5-7 numbers at a time). But I am not convinced with the reply from SAP also.

Anyway thanks to you craig for your advice.

SAP Note on this matter for reference of all. Thanks

================================

Note: 62077

Summary

Symptom

Gaps (jumps) occur when allocating internal numbers.

The status of the number range interval does not match the number that was last assigned.

The number assignment does not reflect the insert sequence.

IMPORTANT: Read Notes 504875 and 678501.

Other terms

Document number, number range, number range object, buffering, current number level, trip number assignment, number interval, CO document, CO actual posting, inspection lot, material document, physical inventory document, production order number, planned order number, process order number, maintenance order number

FB01, VF01, KO88, KE21, KE11, FD01, FK01, XK01, XDN1, MB01, MB0A, MB11, MB1A, MB1B, MB1C, MB31, KANK, KB11, KB13, KB14, KB41, KB43, KB44, KB21, KB23, KB24, KB31, KB33, KB34, KB51, KB53, KB54, PR01, PR02, PR03, PR04, PR05, XD01, VD01, MK01, SNUM, SM56, SNRO, VL01, VL02, CO01, CO40, CO41, VA01, MR1M, MIRO

Reason and Prerequisites

A large number of number range objects are buffered. When the system buffers a number range object, it does not update numbers individually in the database but reserves a preset group of numbers (depending on the number range object) in the database the first time a number is requested, and makes these numbers available to the application server in question. The following numbers can then be taken directly from the application server buffer. New numbers are not used in the database until the application server buffer has been used up.

The effects described under "Symptom" are a direct consequence of this:

If an application server is shut down, the numbers that are left in the buffer (that is, that are not yet assigned) are lost. As a result, there are gaps in the number assignment.

The status of the number range interval reflects the next free number that has not yet been transferred to an application server for intermediate buffering. The current number level therefore does not display the number of the "next" object.

The current number level (for each server) can be displayed using Transaction SM56. Call transaction SM56 and choose the menu 'Goto' -> 'Entries'. In the dialog box, enter the client, the affected number range object (for example, RK_BELEG) and possibly the required subobject (corresponds to the controlling area for the object RK_BELEG).

If you use several application servers, the numerical sequence will not reflect the (chronological) insert sequence because the numbers are buffered separately on the individual hosts.

Buffering the number range objects has a positive effect on performance, because the system no longer has to access the database (number range table NRIV) for each posting. Furthermore, a serialization of this table (database locking) is prevented to a large extent so that posting procedures can be carried out in parallel.

Solution

Since number range buffering does not cause any expressly assured qualities to be lost, no correction is required.

If you still require continuous allocation, you can deactivate the number range buffering specifically for individual objects.

Proceed as follows:

- Start Transaction SNRO and enter the affected object.

- Choose 'Change'.

- Deactivate buffering: Choose 'Edit' -> 'Set Up Buffering' -> 'No Buffering'.

- If you want to change the buffer size only, enter the corresponding value in the field 'No. of numbers in buffer'.

- Save the changes.

Please note that this change is a modification. The modification is overwritten as soon as the affected number range object is redelivered - in other words, you must check the change manually each time you import a release.

In particular, read Note 678501, bearing in mind that changing the buffering type - if not explicitly recommended by SAP - constitutes a modification. For other possible solutions, refer to the following notes:

179224, 599157 and 840901.

For the the following number range objects, gaps may cause users to have doubts since they are 'expecting' a sequential numbering:

Area CO:

- RK_BELEG (CO Document)

CAUTION: Note that the problems described in Notes 20965 and 29030 may occur if you deactivate buffering.

- COPA_IST (Document number in actual posting)

- COPA_PLAN (Document number in planned posting)

- COPA_OBJ (Profitability segment number)

Area FI:

- DEBITOR (Customer master data)

- KREDITOR (Vendor master data)

Area HR:

- RP_REINR (Trip numbers)

Area PM, PP, PS

- AUFTRAG (Order number, production, process, maintenance order, network number)

- QMEL_NR (Number range - message)

Area MM:

- MATBELEG (Material documents)

- MATERIALNR (Material master)

Area QM:

- QLOSE (Inspection lots in QM)

- QMEL_NR (Number range - message)

- QMERK (Confirmation number)

- QMERKMALE (Master inspection characteristics in QSS)

- QMERKRUECK (Confirmation number of an inspection characteristic in QM results processing)

- QMETHODEN (Inspection methods in QM)

- ROUTING_Q (Number ranges for inspection plans)

- QCONTROLCH (Quality control chart)

Area Workflow:

- EDIDOC (IDocs)

Number range buffering can be activated or deactivated at any time.

Number range objects that have to be continuous due to legal specifications (for example, RF_BELEG, RV_BELEG), or due to a corresponding application logic must not be buffered using the buffering type 'Main memory buffering'. See also Notes 37844 (for RF_BELEG) and 23835 (for RV_BELEG).

Header Data

Release Status: Released for Customer

Released on: 10.07.2007 12:57:00

Priority: Recommendations/additional info

Category: Consulting

Primary Component: BC-SRV-NUM Number Range Management

Secondary Components: CA-GTF General Application Functions

BC-SRV-ASF-UOM Unit Management

CO Controlling

CO-OM-CCA Cost Center Accounting

CO-OM-CCA-A Master Data

CO-PA Profitability Analysis

FI Financial Accounting

FI-AP Accounts Payable

FI-AR Accounts Receivable

FI-GL General Ledger Accounting

FI-TV Business Trip Management

LO-MD-MM Material Master

MM Materials Management

MM-IM Inventory Management

MM-IM-PI Physical Inventory

PM Plant Maintenance

PP Production Planning and Control

QM Quality Management

QM-PT Quality Planning

QM-QN Quality Notifications

Edited by: viny on Jul 23, 2008 9:18 AM

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes... I think I made it clear I would not recommend turning the buffering off.

It seems you (or your client), are overly concerned about these missing numbers. I still haven't really heard a logical reason why it would be a concern. It is not a problem in regulated systems such as in the Pharma industry. As long as you can explain why that might happen you should be fine.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Vineet,

Check their existence, once again in the table "QALS"

Regards,

Shyamal

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have face the same problem long back.

In my case number range was also skipping as in your case.

in my case the problem was with some Badi which is used in MIGO due to that inspection lot were not generating and at the same time number range were updating.

Kindly check the possibility of document cancelled before saving this might updating the number range.

Regards,

Anil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lot Number Plant Inspn Type

010000000002 1001 01

010000000005 1001 Z01LB

010000000007 1001 Z01LB

010000000015 1001 Z01LB

010000000022 1001 01

010000000027 1001 01

010000000031 1001 01

010000000041 1001 Z01LB

010000000045 1001 Z01LB

Above is my 01 origin number range from QALS table. Its even missed out in QALS table also.

Please let me know how this happened if anyone gotta clue on it.

Thanks

Vineeth