cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

annoying thread size

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not sure if it is bit annoying for others but it is certainly for me.

When you post a thread and if the text is long, the thread keeps the post carried on towards the right. So when a next person views it, he has to manually scroll it by selecting the text along the side.

my question is, why don't we get a horizontal bar across when the text carries on towards the right hand side or why don't we have a "Word Wrapping" system in our posts so that it is easier to read.

Mind though, It might be only on my machine, cant say about others. (Using HP L2045 20" wide monitor).

any suggestions how to fix this?

many thanks

Regards

Jehanzeb

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I do agree about the annoying user interface on the SAP forums and I assume it is due to the UI control used to display the forum threads.

Appropriate properties of the webdynpro UI control used to display thread should be set to ensure that the control resizes as per the browser window size and not as per the size of text lines in the content.

Another annoying thing observed is one cannot use keyboard to scroll down the page. I have to use mouse only to scroll down.

It is the simplest expectation from a user interface application and it is surprising that SAP expects such application behaviour from solution vendors before certifying their solutions and SAP themselves do not follow it on their forum.

Regards,

Vandana.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Appropriate properties of the webdynpro UI control used to display thread should be set ...

rofl. does this whole thing look like a webdynpro application?

Former Member
0 Kudos

exactly! I don't see it anywhere.

I am surprised that even having so many views on this issue no one has done anything about it.

I think they should stop viewing the thread and do something about it.

Regards

Jehanzeb

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jehanzeb

I am totally with you. this problem is really annoying.

This problem is there evenwith weblogs. we need to scroll to the right to read the blog.

Infact i came to this forum to post a suggestion and happy to see many like me..

Regards,

Simha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Morning Simha,

Yes! I am happy that someone else has joined in. I think we get enough support on this thread I am sure SAP will be willing to do something about this problem.

Regards

Jehanzeb

Former Member
0 Kudos

Closing as no one is willing to input more thoughts about annoying thread size.

fritzfeltus
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I'd suggest posting this in , you may get an answer from someone who knows the forums quite well.

I think this only happens when using the code tag, as it forces lines to stay in one line, even if they're really long.

Cheers,

Fritz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Morning Fritz. oh and sorry for not posting it on the right place I didn't know where to post it really as by looking at the share size of this forum!

anyhow, it isn't when you post a code, I have posted thread without a code and it still carried on.

Can you move this thread? or should I have to rewrite the whole thing again?

many thanks

Kind Regards

Jehanzeb

fritzfeltus
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

If you look at your last thread , the width is caused by your last post, in which you put a veeery long SQL statement in a code tag

Former Member
0 Kudos

haha! That is only one off, I meant to say that when I reply to others or see some of the threads they do tend to move towards the right side and I have to scroll it on the right to look at them.

Regardless of coding and text, in my opinion the forum should have a wrapping system.

anyhow that is my opinion, cannot change the world with it though can express it.

Oh and thanks for moving the thread over here and locking my other duplicate thread.

Many thanks

Regards

Jehanzeb

Edited by: Jehanzeb Navid on Jul 18, 2008 10:27 AM

oh and by any chance can you look at that post, I am having painful difficulties in setting up number of days with number of jobs. See if you can help )

fritzfeltus
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I agree with you, scrollbars would be great.

I wonder if anyone in this forum can comment on this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yep! but I guess only us are awake at this time of the day (specially when its Friday).

Many thanks

Regards

Jehanzeb

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've noticed that happening in quite a few threads as well. It can be a bit of a pain trying to scroll back and forth trying to read the whole message.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

A very good point. Yes its very much difficult to scroll to the right and it becomes even more painful when there are lot of replies on the thread.

But one thing comes to my mind that whenever i post a reply or a thread the editor box does all the word wrapping. And when i save the same it gets saved without wrapping. What i have found is that when we explicitly press enter then it works fine and wraps the sentence in the posted reply but when the editor box does the wrapping it continues in the same line after saving. Hope i am clear.

I guess this is something which is effecting the messages after posting.

Hope to see a more comfortable way to read the messages soon.

thanks & regards,

Manoj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Morning guys,

I hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Yes! the word wrapping is done while you are typing in the post however it does not work when posted. Pressing an Enter/Return key on the keyboard does not implies to wrap the text however it is more of a start of a new line, so in other words it's not actually wrapping the words.

However, you are right it does work.

I think Fritz idea of having a scroll bar is right to an extent however, I would really like if they setup a word wrapping properly and not with scroll bars.

Kind Regards

Jehanzeb