Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Services (RFC) and eSOA

Sm1tje
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

we are currently doing a project in which RFC's are called from an external facing portal. We have identified several services (rfc's) which will have to be developed. Now, in stead of creating for example two separate services for create and update (of BP for example), we want to 'merge' those two into one service. Depending on some criteria the BP will be created or updated. Now, in light of eSOA, I was wondering if this is the way to go? Meaning, does it make any difference to create two separate services or just one which fullfills both tasks.

They're both services which can be reused, so as far as I'm concerned this would fit right into a service oriented architecture...or is this is bit too simplistic?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

manish_bhalla2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't think you are being too simplitic,,, you are right that this is a perfect candidate for 'SOA'.

You could create them as two separate services. You could also create them as one service with the various functionality embedded within it. Or you could create as a single service with multiple operations.

I think the choice is up to you... how granular do you want your services? Personally, I would go for multiple operations, or separate services. But again, that is my preference.

Regards

Manish

Sm1tje
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the first and only reply. I think we'll go for one service since the current client wants to reduce the number of services to a minimum.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Regards,

Micky

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think this link will help:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ar-servdsgn1/

Best practice: A service interface (WSDL port type) should generally contain more than one operation. Operations defined as part of a single service interface should be semantically related by data on which they operate.

Since both services are working on the same business object BP, the above should give hint on to your question.

- julius