Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can you delete users without losing what their username is tied to.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm trying to delete obsolete users out of the system, but if I do I lose anything their user name is still associated with associated with(ex. purchase orders, material request etc.) Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do please mind that deleting users can cause problems in workflows etc.

Best practice is to lock them and/or change the validity date. There are quite a few threads with different opinions on deleting users. As far as I know the majority of opinions is against actually deleting them.

8 REPLIES 8

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As far as i'm aware that info won't be lost when deleting the user.

Regards

Juan

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do please mind that deleting users can cause problems in workflows etc.

Best practice is to lock them and/or change the validity date. There are quite a few threads with different opinions on deleting users. As far as I know the majority of opinions is against actually deleting them.

0 Kudos

>

> Do please mind that deleting users can cause problems in workflows etc.

> Best practice is to lock them and/or change the validity date. There are quite a few threads with different opinions on deleting users. As far as I know the majority of opinions is against actually deleting them.

After a few discussions a client of mine has had with SAP, the conclusion is that SAP recommend not to delete users either.

0 Kudos

Just wondering is that an SAP best practice recommendation ? I have never seen anything in the SAP Security Guides indicating that though.

Another aspect is that access to any protected program variants is lost. There is a SAP program that unprotects them though.

0 Kudos

Hi JC,

I think it is mentioned in the SAP Press book 'authorizations made easy' somewhere...

I just can repeat, not to delete users from productive systems/clients, but set their validity accordingly, remove all roles/profiles and lock them. No fear about userclassification (USMM) - such users are not counted.

b.rgds, Bernhard

0 Kudos

>

> Just wondering is that an SAP best practice recommendation ? I have never seen anything in the SAP Security Guides indicating that though.

> Another aspect is that access to any protected program variants is lost. There is a SAP program that unprotects them though.

This was through some discussions via OSS. I've always preferred to keep them myself, but there are always exceptions. The client decided to ask SAP direct and the final recommendation was not to delete the ID's but just expire them.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This thread might also be of interest to you:

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all the responses