cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility problem R/3 4.7 & Ecc5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am trying to install SAP4.7*110 SR2, Database Oracle 9.2 on windows 2003 R2 server ent eddition X64. My server hardware is AMD64 Ram-6 GB.

All the time installation Failed with listner Error.

Now I Start installation of ECC5.0 on the same server with same Oracle Ver.

Now I Got the exact error it was Due to Compatibility Issue of Hardware & software that is 32 Bit & 64 Bit.

Error is as follows:

ERROR 2008-07-16 16:26:00

CJS-00329 <html>You started an installation of software for platform <em>I386</em>, but SAPinst is running on platform <em>AMD64</em>.<p>This is not a supported combination.</html>

Now Copy the Master & Kernal DVD of 64 bit.

but i couldent have a Oralce 64 bit DVD for AMD64, it was IA64 which is not compatible with AMD64.

So I want to know is it possible to install ECC5 by INST AMD64 & Kernal 64 on the same Oracle 9.2 which is 32 bit ver.

& also suggest me any other changes in my other DVD's.

Thanks & regards,

Darshan..

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Compatibility Problem

antonio_voce
Contributor
0 Kudos

ACheck this inportant oss note for you :

Note 407314 - Released operating systems SAP R/3 kernel 6.x ORACLE

Operating System: WINDOWS FOR X86_64

-

R/3 Kernel-Version

DB-Version OS-Version Restrictions

-

SAP KERNEL 6.40 64-BIT: ORACLE 10.2 64-BIT WINDOWS SERVER 2003/X64 64BIT 1,2,3,4

SAP KERNEL 6.40 64-BIT UNICODE: ORACLE 10.2 64-BIT WINDOWS SERVER 2003/X64 64BIT 1,2,3,4

SAP KERNEL 7.00 64-BIT: ORACLE 10.2 64-BIT WINDOWS SERVER 2003/X64 64BIT 1,2,3,5

SAP KERNEL 7.00 64-BIT UNICODE: ORACLE 10.2 64-BIT WINDOWS SERVER 2003/X64 64BIT 1,2,3,5

SAP KERNEL 7.10 64-BIT: ORACLE 10.2 64-BIT WINDOWS SERVER 2003/X64 64BIT 1,2,3

SAP KERNEL 7.10 64-BIT UNICODE: ORACLE 10.2 64-BIT WINDOWS SERVER 2003/X64 64BIT 1,2,3

1. Minipatch 10.2.0.2.1 must be installed on top of patch set 10.2.0.2 as a minimum combination.

2. Oracle Enterprise Edition only

3. At least Oracle patchset 10.2.0.2 required.

4. At least Oracle client release 9.2.0.7 required.

5. At least SAP NetWeaver 2004s SPS06 required.

antonio voce

Edited by: Antonio Voce on Jul 16, 2008 4:39 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Antonio,

Thank you.

It was Greate information.

antonio_voce
Contributor
0 Kudos

You're welcome !

Antonio.

antonio_voce
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

don't forget to mark question answered and rew pts if it helpfull.

Bye Antonio .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Antonio,

I installed a Oracle 9.2 & Oracle client release 9.2.0.7 required. on same server Hardware & OS as above.

I have a Master DVD X64 AMD64 & Kernal 7.0 X64

is it correct combination to install EEC5 or not,

Also tell me where to look for installed Oracle Patchset.

Regards,

Darshan...

antonio_voce
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

if you have the access go to the PAM in SAP service Marketplace : http://service.sap.com/PAM you will found the combiantion of op system , database , sap kernel.

For ECC5 the combinations are :

https://websmp204.sap-ag.de/~form/handler?_APP=00200682500000001303&_EVENT=RELEASE&00200682500000002...

> Releases SAP ECC Server Database Platforms SAP KERNEL 6.40 64-BIT ORACLE...

Released Database Version Operating System Version Date Status System Status Remarks

ORACLE 10.2 64-BIT WINDOWS SERVER 2003/IA64 64BIT 12.05.2006 Released System status Comment

ORACLE 10.2 64-BIT WINDOWS SERVER 2003/X64 64BIT 12.05.2006 Released System status Comment

ORACLE 9.2 64-BIT WINDOWS SERVER 2003/IA64 64BIT 21.06.2004 Released System status Comment

antonio_voce
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi , the answer to your question is avalaible to SAP PAM : http://service.sap.com.

Here is the combination :

> Releases SAP R/3 Enterprise Server Database Platforms SAP KERNEL 6.40 64-BIT ORACLE...

Released Database Version Operating System Version Date Status System Status Remarks

ORACLE 10.2 64-BIT WINDOWS SERVER 2003/IA64 64BIT 12.05.2006 Released System status Comment

ORACLE 10.2 64-BIT WINDOWS SERVER 2003/X64 64BIT 12.05.2006 Released System status Comment

ORACLE 9.2 64-BIT WINDOWS SERVER 2003/IA64 64BIT 29.03.2004 Released System status Comment

Here there are also many information Note 192822 - FAQ: 32-bit/64-bit R/3-oracle :

Summary

Symptom

32-bit/64-bit R/3-oracle FAQ & best practice

running R/3_oracle in a 64-bit/32-bit mixed env.

Other terms

32-bit

64-bit

64-bit mode

OS

oracle

R/3

Reason and Prerequisites

Your operating system and hardware is 64-bit capable.

You started your operating system in 64-bit mode.

1. For what operating system is there a 64-bit version of oracle/R3?

• AIX: there are two versions of oracle software 32-bit and 64-bit

• COMPAQ TRU64: (former Digital Unix/OFS): all software delivered by SAP is 64-bit by default. No 32-bit versions are delivered

• HP_UX:there are two versions of oracle software 32-bit and 64-bit for

• HP_UX11.x for HP_UX10.20 there is only a 32-bit version

• LINUX: beginning oracle 9.2 there is a 64-bit version available to run on IA64 in addition to the 32-bit versions

• RELIANT_UNIX: there are two versions of oracle software 32-bit and 64-bit

• SOLARIS: there are two versions of oracle software 32-bit and 64-bit beginning with oracle release 8.1.6

• WINDOWS: Oracle 9.2 is the first oracle version to also be released as a 64-bit version to be run on IA64 and windows 2003

2. Which Operating system/Oracle/SAP-combinations can I run?

You can find a list of all OS/Oracle/SAP versions in the following notes:

• 407314 SAP Kernel 6.x ORACLE: Released Operating Systems

• 85838 SAP Kernel 4.0x/4.5x ORACLE: Released Operating Systems

• 23875 SAP Kernel 3.0x/3.1x ORACLE: Released Operating Systems

• 156548 SAP Kernel 4.6x ORACLE: Released Operating Systems

3. Can I run 32-bit applications on my 64-bit platform?

This depends on the platform you are running on. For all unix- platforms, this can be done without any problem. Even if the OS is started in 64-bit mode, it is possible to run 32-bit applications (R/3, oracle) on it. there is no need to either upgrade oracle or R/3 toa 64-bit version.

This, however is NOT the case for windows & Linux. If you have IA64 hardware in place, you do need to run an 64-bit OS as well as all application in 64-bit mode.

4. Can I just upgrade oracle to 64-bit and leave R/3 on 32-bit?

This is also possible. In this case you need to make sure, that the libraries used for R/3 and its tools are present in their 32-bit version (see libaries-chapter)

5. Can I switch to 64-bit, even though I already run the same oracle release on 32-bit?

Yes. The only thing that needs to be done is

• run del_ora.csh to delete the 32-bit software

• install the 64-bit software

• start the database.

• As the wordsize changes with 64-bit, all pl-sql-predures should be recompiled.

Therefore please run the following two scipts on db-level:

@$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlip.sql -invalidates all plsql-procedures

@$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlrp.sql -recreates the plsql-procedures with the new word size

6. Can I switch back from running in 64-bit mode to 32-bit mode?

Yes.

For R/3 the loads will be recreated, so make sure that there is enough space available in the load tablespace

• oracle:

As the wordsize has changed, all pl-sql-packages where recreated with the new wordsize when the post_upgrade_64.sql script ( at the upgrade to oracle 8.0.X) or the oracle migration assistant (at the upgrade to oracle 8.1.X) where run. If you now want to downgrade to oracle 32-bit again, this change has to be remade into the other direction. SVRMGRL

SVRMGR> CONNECT INTERNAL;

SVRMGR> STARTUP;run the script $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlip.sql

(from 64-bit oracle-home) to invalidate all procedures

(as the wordsize needs to be changed back to 32-bit)

SVRMGR>@$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlip.sql

SVRMGR>@$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catalog.sql

perform a normal shutdown

(shutdown) !NO IMMEDIATE OR ABORT!!!! SVRMGR> SHUTDOWN;

SVRMGR> EXIT;

delete your oracle-64-bit-software.

(run script $ORACLE_HOME/orainst/del_ora.csh for oracle 8.0.X; use runinstaller -> deinstallproducts for oracle 8.1.X and 9.X))

goto the steps to install the 32-bit version of oracle according to the installation guide. After the oracle software is installed for 32-bit, make sure that all configuration files are copied over from the 64-bit directory back to the 32-bit directory (e.g. /oracle/<SID>/817_64/dbs/init., /oracle/<SID>/817_64/network/admin/.ora)

set all environment variables to the new ORACLE_HOME. change the .dbenv* and .sapenv* scripts in the ora<SID> and <SID>adm directory to reflect this change. Important parameters are:

ORACLE_HOME

PATH

ORA_NLS33 (eventually ORA_NLS32, ORA_NLS)

LD_LIBRARY_PATH (eventually SHLIB_PATH LIBPATH) SVRMGRL

SVRMGR> CONNECT INTERNAL;

SVRMGR> startupSVRMGR>@$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlrp.sql

Please also make sure that you use the same setting for the parameter COMPATIBLE on 32-bit and 64-bit. It is recommended to use the same init<SID>.ora-file to start the 32-bit database than you used for the 64-bit database (copy it over from the old $ORACLE_HOME).

please also make sure, that the table bootstrap$ is not updated with the information that you are running on 64-bit:

svrmgrl

svrmgr> connect internal

svrmgr> select sql_text from bootstrap$ where line#=-1;

The result should look like

SQL_TEXT

-

if it is different from that; e.g.

SQL_TEXT

-

8.0.0.0.064-bit oracle

Please contact SAP support before switching back to 32-bit, as it is not possible to open this database with 32-bit software anymore right now

If not still in place, install a 32-bit SAP kernel.

7. What combinations of 32-bit/64-bit are supported?

8. Please refer to the notes mentioned in point 2) to find out the detailed release combinations available. In a short version, here is what in general is possible:

The following combinations between 32-bit and 64-bit are supported

R/3 oracle OS

32bit 32bit 32bit/64bit

32bit 32bit/64bit 64bit

32bit/64bit 64bit 64bit

64bit 64bit 32bit (AIX 5.X only!!)

9. I'm running in a mixed environment with R/3/db/OS 32/64-bit. Where do I go now to get oracle patches/patchsets?

• For all current releases, the patches are stored in the sap service marketplace http://service.sap.com/swcenter_3pmain . After choosing oracle , you have the option to go down the oracle 32-bit or oracle 64-bit path. Please note that in order to decide which of the two to choose the only thing tht matters is what bit version your oracle software is. No matter whether your OS is 64-bit; as long as your oracle is still 32-bit you would go down the oracle 32-bit path.

• Older oracle releases are still stored on sapservX under ~ftp/general/3rdparty/oracle there are subdirectories with the operating system name. Whether or not you need to go to the subdirectory or _64 depends entirely on whether or not your oracle-software is installed in the 64-bit version.

o AIX: 32-bit oracle on AIX 32/64-bit

o AIX_64: 64-bit oracle on AIX 64-bit

o HP_UX: 32-bit oracle on 10.20 HP_UX 32-bit

o HP_UX11: 32-bit oracle on 11.0 HP_UX 32/64bit

o HP_UX64: 64-bit oracle on 11.0 HP_UX 64-bit

o RELIANT_UX: 32-bit oracle on RELIANT 32/64-bit

o RELIANT_UX64: 64-bit oracle on RELIANT 64-bit

Newer Patches and patchsets are now delivered on sapnet. In the main tree service.sap.com/swcenter -> third party -> oracle you find two subdirectories : Oracle 32-bit and Oracle 64-bit. Which directory you choos depends on the bit-version of your oracle-version rather than the operating system bit-version.

10. Will I see performance improvements in switching to 64-bit mode for one/more of the components?

No.

Simply switching, without changing anything on the configuration of your current system, does not change the performance. The big advantage of running the OS and an application in 64-bit mode is the fact, that more memory can be addressed by the application. If you run into a limit with your adressable memory, and this is your performance bottleneck, then upgrading to 64-bit will bring performance improvements, after you also changed the memory usage settings of the application. Especially for HP_UX customers this in general the availability of more memory for single processes brings improvements.

11. So what needs to be upgraded to profit the most of going to 64-bit?

a) OS:

If only the OS, and none of the applications is upgraded, you will not see huge improvements. If all your applications are running in 32-bit mode, it does not matter whether or not your OS-is started in 32-bit, or in 64-bit mode For HP_UX please have a look to note 172747 for necessary OS-parameter changes

b) ORACLE:

upgrading oracle to 64-bit enlarges the adressable sharable memory for the database. After the upgrade of oracle more memory can be used for the SGA. If one or more areas of your SGA currently are your bottleneck, then upgrading oracle to 64-bit will bring performance improvements, if also the SGA area in question is enlarged (shared pool, or db block buffers)

c) R3Kernel:

Also the R3 Kernel uses shared memory areas. If currently a limit of addressable memory for e.g extended memory heap memory programm buffer is reached, going to a 64-bit kernel will help in this area. Many notes talk about this area. If you consider to install a 64-bit R3 Kernel, please have a look to the notes 106819, 153641, 182067, 191801, 180872

12. How can you find out whether an object is installed in its 32-bit or 64-bit version?

a) R/3 executables (R3trans, Kernel, tp, R3load):

cd /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run

disp+work -version

R3trans -version

etc.

If no bit-version is mentioned within the text, this means it is a 32-bit version. 64-bit version would return something like .... COMPILED WITH 64-BIT LIBRARIES....

b) Oracle

as ora<SID> user start svrmgrl

In the header it shows oracle-version and bit-number.

you can also do a SELECT * FROM V$VERSION;

Oracle client-lib

library oracle is using CD $ORACLE_HOME/LIB

FILE LIBCLNTSH.<EXT>libary the R3-tools are using

Please check note 180430 for your R3 release specific oracle client note. The location of the clientshared library has changed with different R3 releases. Get the location of the library from that note and then execute:

cd <directory where the clientlib is in>

FILE libclntsh<version>.<extension>

Most kernels also have the function calls to the oracle libraries extracted to a new library dboraslib.<extension> Please also check this library:

cd /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run

FILE dboraslib.<extension>

c) OS

• HP:

getconf KERNEL_BITS executed as root user returns either 32 or 64

• DEC-UNIX:

automatically 64-bit - also shows with the command /usr/sbin/sizer -v

• AIX:

beginning with release 4.3.1 64-bit; please make sure that all hardware components are 64-bit. When installing 4.3.1 AIX automatically detects whether your hardware is 64-bit and will install the necessary 64-bit software components. The easiest way to find out whether AIX is 64-bit is by the following commands:

lslpp -l bos.64bit - this should return a line that bos.64bit is installed

genkex | grep 64 - this checks whether the 64-bit kernel extension is installed. it should return something like

149bf58 a3ec /usr/lib/drivers/syscalls64.ext.

For further details refer to the following webpage http://www-1.ibm.com/support/ docview.wss?rs=0uid=aix12465b658044fc574852569e70056e923

• SOLARIS:

isainfo -v

13. Can I mix my R/3 environment with 64-bit and 32-bit application servers?

yes.

In that case, the loads for the R/3 programms are held twice within the load tablespaces psaploadd and psaploadi. Make sure, that this tablespace contains enough space for that before you run such a mixed configuration.

14. What executables rely on an exchange of the database/the SAP kernel?

Oracle can be changed to a 64-bit version without changing the SAP kernel to 64-bit. However, you will need to apply the 64-bit version of the br* tools & sapdba if you do so. Since these tools usually run in the environment of the ora<SID> user; the environment settings for this user will point to 64-bit libraries.

As soon as the decision is made to also exchange the SAP kernel to 64-bit, also the following tools need to be replaced with their 64-bit equivalent:

• tp

• R3trans

15. I run a 3 system landscape. Will I still be able to transport in between systems if I do not upgrade all of them to 64-bit?

yes.

The transport environment is not only database bit independent, it is rather than that even database version and even database platform independent. As long as the transport tools are installed in the correct bit-version on each of your systems, there will be no problems in transporting in between R3 systems, where the database runs with different bit-versions.

16. How does the use of the XPG4 -UNIX -standard effect us?

17. The XPG4-standard only allows different users to use the same libraries, if these libraries are loaded from the /usr/lib-directory. In the R/3 environment we have two OS-users, that might need to use the same libraries: ora<SID> and <SID>adm. This will lead to problems especially, when an executable that is owned by the one user has to be accessed by the other user, and this executable uses shared libraries. This happens e.g. when:

• sapdba-actions are planned over transaction db13, and sapdba or br* internally call the svrmgrl executable

• startsap realizes that the database is not started, and calls svrmgrl to start it up

• Your complete landscape is 64-bit, but oracle delivers some of its executables in a 32-bit version (e.g. svrmgrl and sqlplus for 8.0.6)

In order to prevent this issue, please have a look to note 303292 which describes how the clientshared library can be statically linked to the svrmgrl executable

Solution

Libraries:

Either on for the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of R/3, you need to

make sure that the correct libraries are used.

On your Kernel CD, there is an additional 64-bit subdirectories

containing the libraries for the 64-bit version.

make sure that the libraries liboraclnt.sh, dboraslib.sh

are of the version that your Kernel And the tools mentioned above are.

The location of the libraries depends on the R3 kernel version you

are using. Please check with note 180430 for your kernel-specific note.

If anything is wrong in that area, tools like e.g. R3up, tp, R3trans

fail and the errorcode looks anything like

[developertrace,0] db_con_init called

[developertrace,0] Checking '/usr/sap/put/exe/libclntsh.sl

[developertrace,0] Checking '/usr/sap/PR1/SYS/exe/run/libclntsh.sl'

[dlux.c ,221] *** ERROR => DlLoadLib: shl_load

/usr/sap/put/exe/dboraslib.sl -> DLENOACCESS (8,Exec fo

[dbcon.c ,3475] *** ERROR => Couldn't load library

'/usr/sap/put/exe/dboraslib.sl'

For the correct setting of the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable

please have a look to note 180430, as this changes for the different

R3-Releases