cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure backup in ecc6.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

i am planning to configure backup in ECC6.0 with MSSql Server 2005 in windows 2003 server, and my tape device (HP LTO Ultrium-3 drive) has been connected to another system in the LAN, so how can i take Full database Backup, Differential Database backup and etc using DB13. Please help me need full

Regards

Chandra

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

jaiprasad_naidu5
Participant
0 Kudos

SAP Note 44449 removed from sap support portal

amontella96
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

use this one instead 1878886 replaces SAP Note 44449

Former Member
0 Kudos

configured

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi chandra ,

How u did that ?

I am facing the similar issue.It would be really helpful if you can share the solution.

Regards,

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

check SAP Note 44449 - Backup strategies with the SQL server

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just do it from the SQL level, schedule backup jobs.

We have a differential backup running everyday, during quietest hours. This typically takes about 30 minutes for a 6TB database.

Full backups once a week, during weekends, takes around 3 hours.

We also dump tlogs every minute.

No need to deal with DB13, just use SQL management studio.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

i am trying to take backup from the SQL Server Management studio,

to create new backup device, when i have right click on Backup Devices in Server objects, tape option is inactive so how can i activate tape option because my tape device (HP LTO Ultirum -3) connected to another system in LAN., so how could i activate tape option.

Regards

Chandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

I believe the reason why it is grey'ed out is because the tape isn't attached to the server itself. What you can do is:

Scenario 1: Simply move the tape backup device to the physical server running SQL. It reduces the tape backup time as well, removing LAN traffic delays from the picture.

Scenario 2: Backup to files instead of tape. Share out the folder where the files are being dropped, have the remote system do a remote tape backup of the files using
sqlphysicalservername\backupshare.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

thank you for ur information but i need to take backup from db13 so how i have to configure, is there any configuration like in oracle(in init<sid>.sap) file we will maintain all the details.. like wise

Thanks in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandra,

You need create the Backup Device in MS- SQL using SQL Server Management Studio, once you create the device it will appear in DB13 as Backup Device and then schedule your backup.

Note - mapped network drive will not be recognize by SAP or SQL - You need to attach the tap device / disk to the database server.

Cheers

Rayees Palot

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Palot,

thanks for your post, i have attached the Tape device to my sap server, its showing Tape device in Hardware list, its not showing MS SQL Studio, the Tape option is in inactive, how can i active the Tape.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chandra, I have run into this problem in the past as well.

Sometimes SQL Server will not recognize a tape device that is attached to an onboard controller.

See if your hardware guy can connect it to a daughter board controller instead.

clas_hortien
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

see my note 1115746 for the exact details and the solution for this.

Best regards

Clas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai Hortien,

already i have done this by 1115746 this note, but still my type option is inactive in ms sql studio, and my tape is display in my hardware list so what could be the problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chandra, do you know what controller the tape drive is attached to?

I have seen it before where an internally attached tape drive is not recognized by SQLServer, an dthe fix is to attach it to a daughter board controller.