cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Space in file system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dears,

We have SAP 4.7 on HP-Unix with oracle database.

We have four file system SAPDATA1,2,3,4 of 30 GB each.

Now the situation is that as our all file systems are above 80% full,We are adding new Hard disks on our server.

Now the issue is after checking the tablespaces usage like file system used more in tablespaces,I provided scenarion to HP team that we want to add space in existing file systems as SAPdata1-35 GB,SAPdata2-45 GB,SAPDATA3-20 GB and SAPdata4 -20 GB.

But HP team is saying that SAP recommed to always create new file systems and to add Space in them..

So now i am little bit confused that what to do..Should we add space in existing file system or should we create new file systems for that...

Please suggest.

Regards,

Shivam Mittal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

But HP team is saying that SAP recommed to always create new file systems and to add Space in them..

Not true, SAP does not bother if you put all data files in sapdata1 or have 20 sapdata's around. I suggest extending the existing sapdata's as you proposed already. If this is not possible (for example if the new disk cannot be added to the existing volume group) then I would just add a sapdata5 with 100gb.

Regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michel,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Just one more thing i want to confirm, Before or after adding space in existing file systems is there any activity i need to perform to make the system working properly.

Regards,

Shivam Mittal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well generally you don't need to do something special, depending on your setup you will need to create additional files in your database to use the new space, but that is kind of obvious.

Best regards, Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michel,

Thanks for the information