Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel patch

former_member657020
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi team,

Here iam applying Support package SAPKB70014. I have applied the support packages from SAPKB70007 to sapkb70011. but when iam applyin the support package SAPKB70014, it gives me an information saying that " SAPKB70014 REQUIRES KERNEL RELEASE 700 AND PATCH NUMBER 0133.".I have cheked the kernel it is release 700 and patch level 111.

Can some one assist me how to apply kernel.

Now my patch level is 111. now to bring it to 133 schould i apply in all the patches consequently which are coming in between 111 and 133(112,113,...).Iam very new to apply kernel. some one kindly assist. this issue is very urgent . Instant replywill be appreciated.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Everyone,

Kernel upgradation is done to increase the run time performance of the system. It contans 3 types of executables, OS,DB,SAP. Mainly kernel upgrade is done for latest update version of TP, R3trans,disp+work,Dpmon, saposcol.

While we are starting a sap system sapcpe.exe is trigerred & strdbs.cmd , Msg_server.exe & disp+work.exe when these executable s are of latest release it will increase the run time performance of the system. After installation when we execute SICK or SM28 it will check the consistency between OS DB & R3 executables

First you need to Navigate to Download / Support packages & Patches / Entry by Application Group / SAP Application Components / SAP ERP / SAP ERP 6.0 / Entfy by Component / SAP ECC Server /

SAP Kernel 7.00 <Version you need>

Check whether the Unix is 32 bit or 64 bit operating system and download the relevant

kernel from the Service Marketplace.

Download the Database depenedent and Database independent packages.

Download below files

SAPEXE---.SAR -DATABADE INDEPENDENT

SAPEXEDB---.SAR -

1. Intimate users that the SAP system is going down for maintanence using SM02

2. Stop R/3 system and Database

3. First stop Application Servers using command "Stopsap <Host_name> and then stop the central instance

4. Stop the SAP and DB services that are using the kernel files like saposcol should stop as sidadm user

and oracle listener should stop as orasid user.

5. Log on to the server and take a backup of existing Run directory.

6. Uncar the files using the command SAPCAR -xvf <file_name> in a tmp folder where it is copied.

7. Copy the new uncared files to the directory /usr/sap/<SAPSID>/SYS/exe/run. directory and

check for the latest version thru disp+work command login trhu <SIDADM>, latest should be reflected.

8. Now restart the R/3 system (first central instance, DB and then application servers) .

9. Now check the system is running fine thru TA SM21, DBACOCKPIT, SICK, ST22, SM11,etc.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

please refer to not 19466

Former Member
0 Kudos

You have still not mentioned if u have an AMD or intel processor .

For intel processor ... from there .. navigate to windows server ia64 ->DB ndependent ->SAPEXE_133-20001351.SAR

Dba tools is found in the same place where u got the DBspecific kernel . ie under windows server ia64 ->oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

The component you have selected is DB dependent part of the kernel . Just one step before u select this, you have an optoin called DB_independent . There you will find db independent part of the kernel_133 .

Dbatools.sar is the BRtools package . Extract all the three components into one folder . The whole thing makes up the kernel .

The package SAPEXEDB_133-20001356.SAR which you have got, is the DB specific part of the kernel , for an AMD processor 64 bit. x64 means AMD. IA64 means intel processor .

So, please make sure what processor you have got . I think you have an intel processor .

Assuming you have an intel 64 bit processor , These are the files which you must be having with you .

1)SAPEXE_133-20001351.SAR

2)SAPEXEDB_133-20001352.SAR

3)DBATL700O10_34-20001352.SAR

Just extract these , and follow the steps i have mentioned earlier.

If you are sure , you have an AMD processor, then go ahead and get the required files.

If you are doing this on a PROD system, please make sure you have someone with you , since you are doing this for the first time .

former_member657020
Participant
0 Kudos

Kindly can you please tell me the path for finding :

SAPEXE_133-20001351.SAR &

DBATL700O10_34-20001352.SAR

where to download from the support market place.

I have gone to Support Packages and Patches" Additional Components" SAP Kernel" SAP KERNEL 64-BIT UNICODE from ther iam unable to find where to go. Kindly please co-operate. Iam in the same process of applying the kernel.

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The path you have mentioned above is the kernel . The exe directory

E:\usr\sap
SYS\exe\uc\NTI386 is generally referred as the kernel.

Go to service market place and download the following components

from the path given below .

1) Kernel - database independent

2) kernel - Database dependent

3) Dbatools

Support Packages and Patches"> Additional Components"> SAP Kernel"> SAP KERNEL 32-BIT UNICODE"> SAP KERNEL 7.00 32-BIT UNICODE

1)all the above mentioned files are SAR files. Extract them with

sapcar.

2) put all the extracted components into one folder . Name it as NTI386

3)Bring down the R/3 and db .

4)rename the old kernel E:\usr\sap
SYS\exe\uc\NTI386 as E:\usr\sap
SYS\exe\uc\NTI386.old

5) place ur new kernel in E:\usr\sap
SYS\exe\uc\

6) Bring up database and r/3. Now you have an updated kernel

7)if u face any issues, then replace the old kernel and get help .

former_member657020
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you.

I cannot understand one point Please clarify....

1) Kernel - database independent

2) kernel - Database dependent

3) Dbatools

Iam working on Oracle 10g with windows 2003 server 64 bit. Now my patch level is 111 and i need it to upgrade it upto 133.

so i have downloaded from the market place SAPEXEDB_133-20001356.SAR of windos 2003 64 bit. What other things i need to download from the market place.

Instant Reply wil be really admirable.

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

did you check SAP Note 19466 - Downloading SAP kernel patches

for dbatools check SAP 651812 - FAQ: BR*TOOLS and SAPDBA

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Kernel patches are cumulative. Just download the required kernel, (133 in your case) . Take a backup of the old kernel and

replace it with the new kernel.

former_member657020
Participant
0 Kudos

Can you please tell me what is kernel. i have path named :

E:\usr\sap\<SID>\SYS\exe\uc\NTI386,

Can you please allobrate which files to be replaced and where schould i replace my new files........

UI ahve downloaded sapexedb_113 file fom sap market place and what needs to be downloaded yet and where can i get from the market place......

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You can directly install the last kernel.

Patch the kernel with JSPM. http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwce10/helpdata/en/87/4797422930c56ae10000000a155106/content.htm

First you need to download the last kernel from http://service.sap.com and put it in the directory usr/sap/trans/EPS/in

Best regards,

Olivier

former_member657020
Participant
0 Kudos

Can some one kindly provide me in details step by step for installing new kernel.schould i need to apply the kernel in serial. now my patch level i 111 and in need to update it upto 133.Schould i download both sapexe.sar and sapexedb.sap files. where i can i get sapdbexe.sar files in support portal.

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes you should download both files.

http://service.sap.com/patches

Then you need to download the files for your SAP system version, database and operating system version.