cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup/restore problem....

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is regarding a SAP DB 7.4.

I have installed and new instance of SAP DB and SQL Studio. I am able to connect to my instance MQA via SQL Studio. I have taken a full back up of database. Total number of records in one the table is zero. I started to download the data. It is on AutoLog save mode is ON. After loading 10,000 records I took another full back up. He created two log backups, as part of AutoLog save, while loading data into MQA. Now I have two full backups. One at beginning which has zero records and other which has 10,000 records in one of the table. Now started to load more data and loaded another 2000 record and it created one more log back up file as part of the AutoLog save.

First full backup = zero records

Loaded 10,000 records and it created two log backup files

Took full backup with 10,000 records.

Loaded another 2000 records and created one more log backup file.

Now I want to restore with last full backup. When I do it, it restores it successfully. But When I go to SQL Studio to check the records and they are still at 12,000. I was expecting it to be at 10,000.

Then I did further testing and I deleted all the records in the table and brought it to zero. I went to restore it with full backup taken after 10,000 records. It restored it well but all the records are still zero.

So my full backup is basically empty. I made sure that I was restoring it from good backup. Where could I go wrong? I have tried this few times and still same result.

Please advice.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thank you everybody in advance.

Thank you.

SChau

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

One more thing to let you know is that <b>Recovery with Initialization</b> only available with 7.6 DBM GUI. &.4 DBM GUI has only <b>Recovery</b> option. Result is same if you use <b>Recovery</b> either with 7.4 DBM GUI or 7.6 DBM GUI.

Thank you.

Sume.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think that backup is not empty.

I did another test. I took another full back with 12000 records. Name of the back is DAT0003. No log file at this point. After this I deleted all the records and make the table empty. Then I tried to restore it, using <b>Recovery</b> option in DBM GUI, using DAT003 and it did say successful and started the database but did not fill the tables and tables were still empty. When I chose <b>Recovery with Initialization</b> option in DBM GUI and chose the same backup DAT003, It did work and loaded all the data back to table and now it is at 12000 records.

So I really could understand the difference. What is the <b>Recovery</b> option used for?

Please help me. I will be very greatfull to your help.

Thank you.

Sume.