cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster Recovery

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dears,

I need to set up a DR server on our client side.

Being new to this task,I am not sure to provide timelines for this activity

Please suggest me for that and also provide me any document if you have to perform the activity.

Regards,

Shivam

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

First, you need a duplicate physical landscape as the production. Depending on the landscape, this could take anywhere from a month to sometimes 1/4 year. This includes storage, storage design, physical server procurement, etc. Better thing to do is, make this your TEST environment. This way, your TEST environment has the same hardware, making for more accurate stress testing results and this environment will always be HOT and you won't have to deal with any COLD server surprises.

Second, you need to make a list of technologies. SAP ABAP, SAP JAVA, O/S, Database, external application dependencies. VPN? SAP Frame Relay? Etc. You need to think of SAP as a whole.

Third, you need to scope out the DR project. Meaning, does all required business interface needs to failover at well? What about up / down stream systems? I suggest that you limit your scope to SAP only for your first exercise.

Fourth, test the failover. Try it on the test system or sandbox, make sure what you are doing works.

For database, especially large data bases, make sure primary and DR site has enough WAN bandwidth for proper log shipping. Create a log shipping alert if necessary - nothing is worst than a real disaster then realizing that your DR site is 12 hours out-of-sync.

For SAP application, try looking into virtualizing the instance names. Renaming physical servers is complicated, but remapping WINS/DNS is not.

For the DR here inhouse, overall planning took about 6 months. This includes server builds. We are on our 5th year performing the DR procedures, on our real life production environment. Every year we learn something - as it is a constant learning process.

0 Kudos

Hi,

It depends on the size ofthe DB & the Hardware that will be used to create an DR site.

secondly it also need to be check the type of DR site. Like you want immed. replication of the data or will it be standby Server to hold the data off site ? etc.

Regards

Virendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dears,

I just get update from my client that he is using Linux not windows....

So sorry for not providing the details initially...Can you please share document to set up DR server on Linux.

I will be highly greatful.

Shivam

0 Kudos

Hi Shivam,

To best of my knowledge OS doesn't create much of the difference. It is based on the Size & the Hardware infrastructure that will be used to create the setup. The powerfull hardware will required less time to install & restore the OS & DB on the system.

Based on that you have to calculate the time .

Regards

Virendra

antonio_voce
Contributor
0 Kudos

http://service.sap.com/instguides

The time depend on what you have to do exactly (SAP version, DB, Landscape) and the hardware on that you have to install.

Antonio.