cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modes in PPM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus :

I have a basic doubt . In PPM , mode defines resources and it can have more than one resource also ,

Activites contains mode and it can have more than one mode

so what is the need for having more than one mode in activites . Wwhy cant each activity can have only one mode and all resources can be stored there ..

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

srinivas_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Think of a process of manufacturing say an axle of an automobile from hot rolled steel. Broadly let us assume three step process

Step 1: Lathe turning involving a special Labor who is skilled in doing the work

Step 2 : Using the same lathe to do drilling of the axle and another/same Labor skilled in drilling. This drilling operation can alternatively be done by a dedicated drilling machine.

Step 3: Unsetting up the axle from the lathe/dilling machine

The first two can be in one operation or two. One operation can have two activities as well eg step 1 and 2.

In this situation the resource and work center is the same for the three steps. In all the cases Primary resource or scheduling relevant resource is Lathe/drilling machine.

In SNP though only one mode can be maintained per activity. IN PPDS though once can have more than one mode per activity since PPDS, one does very finite level detailed accurate planning and hence alternatives are important.

I am guessing your question is more to do with PPDS. A production activity could be done (drilling in our situation) in lathe or a drilling machine. You also have an option of setting up alternative PPMs as well and the behaviour is similar to an activity mapping to alternative modes. The master data teams in different organizations could have either preferences from an administration standpoint. It should not matter from a functional standpoint.

I hope that answers your question.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

activity can have multiple modes but each mode can not be assigned to more than one resource

Hence for unique activity, multiple modes are required to assign multiple resources. (Ex Parallel and alternate sequences)

Plese revert in case of any doubt

with regards

Mangesh A. Kulkarni