cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minor Thesis in SAP XI....Topic Suggestion??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I will be doing a minor thesis in SAP XI as a part of my Masters Program.

I have also spoken to guide about the topic. He said that I can consider any topic as SAP XI is relatively new. I don't have much hands on SAP XI so far.Just as what generally happens at academic level. I am pursuing my Masters in IS and ERP. This minor thesis will be equivalent to 3 subjects.

As far as my supervisor is concerned about the topic he wants some kind of demonstration solution for whatever topic I choose to do research in. At the end of the day it has to be some hands on practice research which I should be able to demonstrate. I tried to find on internet if any research of this kind has been done on SAP XI. I couldnt find a single paper.Also the time duration is around 4-5 months maximum considering extensions periods as well.

So what I want from you all experts there sitting and reading this is to suggest me a topic where minor thesis can be conducted or research can be done. I especially urge all those people who are experts in this area and have done minor thesis before. Please do let me know about the topic and I will get back to you if I have any doubts. I thought as there has not been enough research been done talking straight to SDN forum will be beneficial.

So please suggest me some topics and just give some background information 1st and then where the research has to be done.

Thanks.

Warm Regards,

Rahul

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

Considering that you are choosing a project in SAP XI, you will not be able to deliver the demonstration unless and until you have the SAP R/3 and SAP XI server installed, which is a primary requisite. this can be even done in LAPTOPS with higher configuration. As the XI server is not available at free of cost you need to buy the server or in other case you can do the project/exploration in any of the top companies where again as i said you will not be able to deliver the demonstration.

If you have the servers ready, then you can very well choose the topics like proxies, BPMs, with communication between an SAP r/3 system in the form of IDOCs and RFCs and the normal file system which can even be your file system.

There are topics like webservices, proxies and BPMs which are hot in market now, so exploration in these concepts would really help in your academics and future as well.

Regards,

Nithiyanandam

Edited by: Nithiyanandam A.U. on Jul 15, 2008 5:56 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nithiyanandam,

Thanks for pointing out that..I forgot to mention that our university already has installed SAP XI on servers and I have been allocated a user ID by my guide. But I have no idea at what extent I have been given rights. Is is possible for me to work on the above mentioned topics with normal user rights. I think I should be able to perform File to File as well as other scenarios. Is that good enough for me to continue?

Thanks.

Regards,

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

In general to work with SAP XI you need to have the following roles of the developer which is mentioned in the link below:

http://www.erpgenie.com/sap/netweaver/xi/xiauthorizations.htm

further to your scenario, you should be given access to certain Tcodes like sm59- to create RFC destination, Sproxy incase if you are working with proxies, access to SAI_TOOLS, creation of package etc

Further to communicate with the SAP r/3 system you need to have the RFC properly configured with the target system which have the full rights to login to the SAP r/3 system directly from SAP XI and viceversa.

again these are just primary things. Have you ever done a scenario in SAP XI ex. file-file and check the status in server.

please reward points

Regards,

Nithiyanandam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Nithiyanandam for your reply. I havn't tried any scenario yet but I have a simple File to File scenario which I haven't tried yet but one of my friend tried and it works.

I might really need lot of helps from all you guys. When I discussed my thesis with my guide he said that your task is ambitious and no one in the university is has ever done thesis on this area. Also in addition to this he said that learning SAP XI is a steep learning curve.

So I am pretty sure that I wont be able to do everything on my own I will need help of all you experts there.

I really appreciate your prompt replies.

Regards,

Rahul Patil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nithiyanandam,

I am bit stuck now as to what to do as next step....can you please help me with this?

Thanks.

Regards,

Rahul

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Rahul,

Thanks for your concern.

Thats good mite, keep going.

keeping the target in mind you have to concentrate on the scenarios, that is scenarios that leads to BPM and Proxies.

for example: I hope you created Message Interfaces for Filt-to-File sceanrio right. concentrate on parameters what you give and try to figure out which parameter is related to BPM in case of message Interface.

see the Idea is to work on BPM not keep doing all R&D on XI server Right.

so practise scenarios which drive to BPM or Proxies.ok

for do some other simple scenarios first like IDOC-File or FIle-IDOC and take FTP as source in File adapter. ok

Next study BPM and Proxies theory.

and Try to relate where exactly you need to concentrate in existing sceanrios, to get working scenarios of BPM and Proxies.

kk

search for

File to File File Content conversion sceanrio

and any File related Sceanrios for Practise.

By the way where you are doing ur M.S

Reward with Points if helpful

Best Regards

Praveen K Kurni

Edited by: Praveen Kurni on Jul 17, 2008 9:51 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

That's a good advice and to the point.

But after I have finished File to File scenario how do I get the details of why this parameter has been entered here and what is more important to my thesis?

Thanks

Regards,

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Rahul,

I'm sorry I was sick for 2 days, didnt check sdn.

Any way I'm back.

good discussion is going on this topic I suppose.

one of the guru corrected me, Thanks very much. Actually I did write like that because we go for webservice when we have W.A.S (web application server) only, And that should be >=6.20. But I should make the statement correctly not to guide u wrongly.

Now as I came to know that you can work out the scenarios

in your server, plz try to take some simple scenarios from SDN and keep working on them for couple of weeks until u get hands on experiance in working scenarios.

Then go for reading Proxies and BPM theory available in SDN. If you couldnt find any plz request on my personal mail available on SDN Business card.

kk

if you get any difficulty in getting the scenarios work plz letme know or search for the same in SDN.

Really SDN is big Dictionary for XI in particular

Best Regards

Praveen K Kurni

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Yes it is really good topic to discuss and I think all of them will benefit through this. Its really bad to hear that you were not keeping well.

As far as the File to File scenario is concerned I am havening some problems with the output. I am not able to see the output file. Although when I monitor the XML message using transaction SXMB_MONI I see 4 messages when I click one of them and see Payloads-->MainDocument I am able to see XML converted data but I am not able to understand there is no output on server.

Please explain what should be the problem.

Thanks.

Regards,

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Make a target of showing one complete scenario. this will also make you familiar with integration concepts and XI too.

if you do even file to file relegiously, you are going to learn a lot.

Thanks

Farooq.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Not to worry I have got output successfully. I think it took long time.

Thanks anyways.

Regards,

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Farooq,

Thanks for your valuable advice. I have finished File to File Scenario successfully and it worked fine. Next is I am trying to see how that it really worked and why do we need to give those parameters and why?

Once I finished that I think I can move to some other scenario. What do you suggest is that a good approach and you can suggest some corrections.

Also if you agree with this plan what do you think which scenario should I start now?

Thanks.

Regards,

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

See I was in you place then definetly I will go for R3 and XI communication or XI and Database. later I will go for R3-XI-JDBC, then I will include BPM in it. and demostrate to others:)

Thanks

Farooq.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Rahul,

I did my Masters too in Information Systems. But I selected my field in Business Intelligence. Regarding SAP-XI I can suggest you two topics which are do be digged a lot in XI.

1. PROXIES -

Reason for choosing this:

To connect SAP Systems or other system which got Webservice(W.S) >=6.0 only uses Proxies.

In the present Market there are mixed kind of Servers I mean to say (W.S>=6.0) and (W.S <6.0). Many people already using these Proxies.In near future all of them will upgrade their W.S. so option of using Proxies is much than other sceanrios.

2. BPM:

Reason for choosing this:

Most of the Simultaneous message transfers are dealt with this BPM.There are pretty good things yet to be discovered in BPM sceanrios.

If you want any help regarding what to Include and how many words of Thesis report to be submit you can feel free to ask I can help you.

Best Regard

Praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Good suggestion. Just a small correction here.

>>To connect SAP Systems or other system which got Webservice(W.S) >=6.0 only uses Proxies.

It is not Webservice here. It is WebApplicationServer and proxies can be configured if the R/3 is based on WebAS 6.2 or above.

@Rahul,

Feel free to ask your questions. I can do my best to answer them. However my concern here is you need a XI server in place to use BPM and R/3 installation to test proxy. I am not sure if these come free of cost for testing purposes.

Regards,

Jaishankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Thanks for your quick reply. Now my concern is that where do I start from?

I think I need to have good hands on SAP XI then only it will be possible to leverage the potentials of XI.

What do you suggest where should I start from if am planning to select the 1st topic about the proxies.

Also can you elaborate more on what has to be done because for me the picture is still blurred and I need to have clear understanding as to what I am doing.

Thanks.

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jaishankar,

Thanks for that correction. The statement you have made i.e.

" However my concern here is you need a XI server in place to use BPM and R/3 installation to test proxy. I am not sure if these come free of cost for testing purposes."

Is that in regards to 1st topic or 2nd topic?

As I am a student in University I really dont have any access to Installation nor do I have any specialization in its installation. So in this case I would like you to suggest me something which is just my reach.

Thanks.

Rahul