cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot start SQL Server on second Node of Windows Cluster

Former Member
0 Kudos

Colleagues,

I am using SQL Server 2005 on a Windows cluster. When I failover from the database server to the central instance, all groups move successfully except for MSSQL.

SQL Server fails. All dependencies come online, however.

The 2 error messages I see in the event viewer are:

[sqsrvres] OnlineThread: Error 5b4 bringing resource online.

[sqsrvres] OnlineThread: ResUtilsStartResourceService failed (status 5b4)

I tried to start SQL Server manually on the CI instance but it failed and remained in "starting" status.

I also tried starting SQL server outside of the cluster at the command prompt with net start mssqlserver -C to see if it will start at all. It also remained in "starting" status.

I suspect a re-install of SQL server may be required but if there are any other suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Andy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

What's in the SQL error log? Also, please check my post here to verify the install steps.

Lastly, sometimes (worst case from what we experienced) to uninstall SQL 2005 from a MSCS involves rebuilding the entire MSCS + physical servers. Just FYI ...

Regards,

Kevin.

0 Kudos

Hi,

1) Please check all the dependency resource are really moved to the second node. To the best there are 3 service a) MSDTC b) Search service & c) SQL Server and all need to be running on the same node.

2) Please check all the security rights are proper on the Shared resource & local resource too.

Regards

Virendra