cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening an External Window which shares the same context.

anbusivam_s
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a requirement where <b>I need to open an external window which shares the same context</b>. (i.e, A window which belongs to the same application in a seperate browser)

If I use the following coding <b>it only opens a model window in the same browser</b>.

IWDWindowInfo winInfo = wdComponentAPI.getComponentInfo().findInWindows("NewWindow");

IWDWindow window = wdComponentAPI.getWindowManager().createWindow(winInfo,false);

But if I use wdComponentAPI.getWindowManager().CreateExternalWindow() <b>it could only accept the URL that opens a seperate application with different context</b>.

Please help me in this regard.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anbusivam,

Your observations are correct.You can not get a External Window from the same application.

Why would you want that ?

anbusivam_s
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Senthilvel,

Actually I have a requirement for that in my application. I have several links in a parent view, on click of the link it should open a seperate browser and displays a view of the same application. Will it be possible with any workarounds?

-Anbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anbu,

Just try out giving this on the onAction() properties of the links for opening in the new window.

<b>IWDWindow win = wdComponentAPI.getWindowManager().createExternalWindow("<http://<localhost>:50000/<Ur application name>"," ",true);

win.open();</b>

The link name should be properly specified.so that it creates an extenal wD properly.<b>If u want to display the same view in a different window then it is possible.</b>

Just copy the URL when u deploy and give it inside the createexternal WD.This should open a new WD with same appln.

Regards,

Nagarajan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anbu,

Dont feel bad that i am asking you more questions than giving you answers.

if you just want to show content or let the user enter data or something you can use always popup modal/non modal window.

External window is used to refer to other website or other applications in otherwords referring other url.

So your workaround would be relaxing your requirement and redesign your application.

This is my view point.Probably some other expert sdn'ers might have better one you know.

Success !!

BTW- if you decided to follow nagarajan suggession then you have to use URL generator to generate the URL.Using static URL is depreciated and also wont work in your Customer places.

Message was edited by: Baskaran Senthivel

anbusivam_s
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Senthilvel,

Is there anything like session available for webdynpro applications to share the information?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anbu,

You can share the information using fire Events from webdynpro.Other wedynpro application listen to this events and handle this events.

You can also think of URL Parameters.

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/f4/651741f163f023e10000000a155106/content.htm">http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/f4/651741f163f023e10000000a155106/content.htm</a>

Session in particular-i have no idea in WebDynpro.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member185029
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anbusivam,

map your parent windows context and child windows context with controller.

E.g. suppose you have context "Name" which you need in your child window, then create a context named "Name" in your component controller and map it with both your parent window view and child window view.

This will insure that whatever changes are done to the parent windows context are reflected in your child window.

Hope this will solve your problem.

Ashutosh